London SE1 community website

Best restaurants in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Monday 14 August 2006 9.46pm
Champor Champor on Weston Street is lovely.

Went to the Oxo Tower brasserie last Friday; wish we hadn't. Packed, noisey, tables placed all of 3 inches apart, grossly over-priced, very plain food - terrible!
Monday 14 August 2006 10.06pm
Big fan of The Anchor & Hope for a lot of great food. Alternatively, Strada at More London is great if you don't mind patchy service.
Bec
Tuesday 15 August 2006 8.00am
I went to a great new restaurant on Saturday evening: Franklins on Kennington Lane. It's SE11 rather than SE1 but it would definitely be worth the short journey. The food is really decent, inventive modern British, there's a good wine list and the service is excellent: friendly without being intrusive. It's just opened and I'm sure it will be a great success.
Tuesday 15 August 2006 8.54am
A few suggestions near Waterloo not yet mentioned:

- Gabriels Wharf, especially Riviera, a bit unsual and lovely if the sun's out.

- Tamesis @ Oxo Tower, bar-cum-restaurant but decent food and if you can sit in the window seats virtually 'on' the Thames

(This is not the main upstairs Oxo restaurant which does pricey food by Harvey Nicks, agree with some of the complaints above but great views and a sense of occasion. For noisy I hear buzzy)

- RSJ Brasseries, cosy little corner restaurant (not eaten there for ages so not of food) on Stamford Street
Tuesday 15 August 2006 9.00am
Oh yeah, for tapas both Mar I Terra (just off Blackfriars Road) and Meson Don Felipe (the Cut) have something to offer. Mar I terra has a little terrace tucked away amongst the railways lines (better than it sounds!) and Meson Don Felipe does live Spanish guitar music through the night.
Tuesday 15 August 2006 10.58am
Bec,

Welcome to the SE1 forum. I assume you have no connection!

I have been to Franklins and, personally, consider it overpriced. I had a starter which was a tiny piece of smoked eel, for 6.50.

I also have friends who have been insulted when they dared to suggest to the owner that the service was too slow and that the starters were poor value. They were only trying to make helpful suggestions so that it could improve.

The owner had the cheek to say that it was "central London prices". The problem with that is, living where we do, we have the choice of the whole of central London to eat in, and they have to be good to get our custom.

I'd give it a year.

Loafer
Tuesday 15 August 2006 2.22pm
I'd second Champor Champor! The menu there is so unlike anywhere else that it is perfect for a special occasion.
Tuesday 15 August 2006 3.29pm
I really like the restaurant on top of the Tate for a special occasion. Fantastic view (and the food's not bad either, and they have bottled Dunkerton's cider, and the menu is flexible with good supper/brunch options as well as the full 3-course thingummy).

Blueprint Cafe is also nice (and they have been doing some reasonably priced deals recently, which I think you can find if you search through James' list of SE1 restaurant special offers on this site).

And the mad French fish restaurant just Sth of E&C (on the turn off to Kennington - The Lobster Pot, I think it's called) is also unique and good for a special occasion imho.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 August 2006 3.37pm
This debate will go and on and on and on and on...

There are so many great places to eat in SE1 these days...I don't think we'll ever come to a general consensus on which one is the best!

But I'll add my two pence worth anyway. My favourite places would probably be The Garrison, The Real Greek (great location on the river) and Anchor & Hope.
Tuesday 15 August 2006 4.50pm
Le Pont de la Tour is exceptionally good
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions