London SE1 community website

Best restaurants in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Bec
Tuesday 15 August 2006 4.50pm
Hi Loafer - no I don't have a connection with Franklins! Just a satisfied customer! I used to go to the original branch in East Dulwich which was great and had obviously been going for years - and still is. I really hope the new Kennington branch stays the course: the food is good quality and inventive. Perhaps, though, you'd be happier in the chippy recommended by someone else?!

I also agree with the recommendation for the Blue Print Cafe - I've never had a bad meal there, and again the service is excellent. And the Lobster Pot is slightly bonkers, in a good way, with high quality food.

None of these are cheap (though not outrageously expensive) but, I'd say, worth it for a special meal.
Tuesday 15 August 2006 8.35pm
My personal local favourites are:

Ev
Yo Sushi
Rousillion in Pimlico (reasonably local - SW1)
White Hart in Kennington
Pont de la Tour
Gaucho Grill (Exchange Cirus branch EC2)

I must add, I prefer the Windmill Fish Bar to Masters for F&C.

Regards,

Loafer

Edited to add:

I agree with Bec that Franklins does have excellent quality food, just small portions and overly expensive prices - you can judge for yourself from the above whether I am price sensitive...
Wednesday 16 August 2006 8.48am
Loafer, where is the chippy that is better than Masters?

Do tell me please

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 August 2006 9.09am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Loafer, where is the chippy that is better than Masters?
Do tell me please

Loafer, do you mean the one on Kennington Lane ?
Wednesday 16 August 2006 9.47am
Agree with all the above, especially Roussillon if you want to spend a lot but get a world class meal, our meal in Tamesis was a nightmare, but it was very early on. Surprised no-one has mentioned RSJ, old-fashioned, genuinely French (although owned by a Brit) can be great fun.

OK I live fifty yards away so I am biassed
Wednesday 16 August 2006 10.00am
Erm... Did mention RSJ a few posts back... But thanks for endorsing this as it's a long time since I eat there and so have no up-to-date view on the food!
Wednesday 16 August 2006 12.36pm
Ivanhoe - The tate modern cafe won't let you have anything off the breakfast menu if it's gone midday (even if it's 12:01!). All i wanted was a bacon sandwich too!
Wednesday 16 August 2006 12.57pm
I've had the same experience with Tate - and as a late riser, breakfast for me can be anytime until 3pm.

I would have recommended the Laughing Gravy on Blackfriars road, but haven't been in since the the chef (and decor) has changed. Has anyone?

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Wednesday 16 August 2006 1.25pm
Windmill Fish Bar is at Kennington Cross - very good.

I do like RSJ, but for some reason, every time I went there with my sisters, one would end up in tears, so I think I'm allergic!

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 16 August 2006 2.08pm
JonR wrote:
Ivanhoe - The tate modern cafe won't let you have anything off the breakfast menu if it's gone midday (even if it's 12:01!). All i wanted was a bacon sandwich too!

Ah. Didn't realise that. Our place is generally supplied with the ingredients for a cooked breakfast on a weekend, even if we've got nothing else, so I don't often do breakfast out.

What I meant was that in the evening they do simpler "supper" things as well as more complicated/bigger/more expensive things from the "dinner" menu, so you can go in the evening and enjoy the experience even if you just fancy something relatively simple.

It's a good thread this, but it's making me hungry. Off to Tas Ev tonight (which will be a first for me - I've only popped in the deli bit before).

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions