London SE1 community website

Best restaurants in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Saturday 26 August 2006 1.38pm
v. interesting Helen b-j.

I have walked past Georgetown many a time, but it looks so dull. Perhaps I will give it a go.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
jpm
Monday 18 September 2006 10.59pm
Yes, i went to Georgetown the other week with my glamorous other and we both really enjoyed it. Again on a toptable offer, which seemed pretty good value.

Definitely worth a try
gii
Wednesday 20 September 2006 1.18pm
Georgedown is just ok with the Toptable deal.
My faves are:
Brindisa Tapas Bar (Near london bridge tube) - non bookable
Anchor and Hope (The cut) - non bookable
RSJ - (Stamford Street)
Even the chains 'The Real Greek ' and Nandos are good on the river - not really special occasion though

Go to Brindisa - get there early - put name down - have drink - order olives stuffed with orange and Padron peppers (or russian roulette peppers - the odd hot one). Try to get window seat or seat outside on a nice day - like being on hols.

Have fun
Wednesday 20 September 2006 1.22pm
Re chains by the river - I had a really good meal in the Strada by the Royal Festival Hall recently.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 2.27pm
I can't belive no-one has yet mentioned sitting either inside or outside The Chop House in the Bar(rather than restaurant) area. The set menu is pretty cheap at around 12-14 depending on the day and I have always found the staff friendly. I find the main restaurant overriced. I also find the Bermondsey Kitchen very friendly and relatively cheap now the Village East has opened!
Monday 9 October 2006 3.27pm
They say everyone to their own taste, but we had the worst meal we can remember at Franklins in Kennington Lane last week. It ruined a special occasion. Was told wine we chose was not sweet - it was but they changed it. Whitebait for starters were so salty that we neded copious amounts of water to cope. Mains of beef and rabbit were poor - tasteless and dry. Vegetable was whole cabbage leaves complete with stalks...Puddings were also poor - I'm not one for leaving puddings, but I did this time. The waiter did not once enquire why we had left food, when I mentioned our poor experience to the 'manager' his comment was 'We can't please everybody'! Well he isn't going to have the chance tp please us again
Tuesday 10 October 2006 1.14pm
I am thinking about taking my boyfriend and a group of friends about 10-15 for a meal at Eve in the Arches on a Saturday night and then going to Jacks bar. I've only been here during the week and am concerned it will be a bit quiet on a Saturday night? Does it generally get quite busy to make it a good night or do you recommend going to one of the other Tas restaurants?

Thanks
Anonymous User
Tuesday 10 October 2006 3.49pm
If you like tapas, I strongly recommend Mar e Terra in Gambia Street (off Blackfriars Rd almost opposite Southwark Underground, north of the railway bridge).

Good wine list that's not over the top price wise (as far as restaurants go anyway).

Have a good evening
Wednesday 11 October 2006 11.50am
That does look really nice actually. So do you think that the restaurants and bars under the arches will be a bit quiet on a Saturday?
Wednesday 11 October 2006 1.10pm
Alison - Ev by far the best of the Tas group. Weekend nights are much nicer than week nights I think, but still busy - so don't worry, you won't be eating alone!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions