London SE1 community website

3 hotels planned for Waterloo Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 3 January 2008 2.49pm
Just how ugly does a building have to be so nobody likes it? Am surprised the concrete monstrosity at 157 Waterloo Road will be missed…
Thursday 3 January 2008 2.50pm
I'm a bit sad that the Church Mission society building's due to be demolished - I find the inscription above the door inspiring, even though I'm not a Christian, both spiritually and aesthetically. One year I gave my parents a framed photo of it (they're christian) and it often gets compliments - it's so typographically striking and unusual! But my other concern is the planned site for the hotel - isn't this where Masters SuperFish is, and if so, where will they go?
Thursday 3 January 2008 3.08pm
*gasp* no Masters superfish? nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Sunday 8 June 2008 5.23pm
A revised application has gone in for a 12-storey, 327-bed Hilton hotel on the Partnership House site at 157 Waterloo Road - details here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 January 2009 4.40pm
A scaled-down proposal for the Partnership House site was approved last night:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3710

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 October 2009 7.41pm
Just trying to find a hotel for New Year's Eve for some visitors and a couple of updates on these hotels:

The H10 hotel at St George's Circus is now on the H10 website - opening 2010 - it's listed as a 4 star hotel and the facilities look pretty good. It's apparently near Lambert North!

Travelodge, Waterloo Road - sign up on the building saying rooms from £29 but nothing on the Travelodge website as yet. Was originally meant to be 'Winter 2009' but this seems to indicate March 2010 at earliest: http://www.ventuk.com/projects/latestprojects.php
Thursday 22 October 2009 8.47pm
Also our Chief Exec has hinted on his blog that the London ambulance HQ will be moving from Waterloo road in the next 2 years or so.

Apparently the HQ is not big enough now , and no doubt the ground its on will sell for a nice price , probably gonna be yet another hotel in its place as well !!

(no idea where we are moving to )
Friday 23 October 2009 1.20pm
This is bad news, particularly for the shops and takeaways on the Waterloo Road - there's always folk from the LAC in them.
Friday 23 October 2009 1.51pm
babybat wrote:
I'm a bit sad that the Church Mission society building's due to be demolished - I find the inscription above the door inspiring, even though I'm not a Christian, both spiritually and aesthetically. One year I gave my parents a framed photo of it (they're christian) and it often gets compliments - it's so typographically striking and unusual! But my other concern is the planned site for the hotel - isn't this where Masters SuperFish is, and if so, where will they go?

I think there will be some people , especially people who live in the vicinity of The church mission to see it go. After the all night illegal rave parties that went on there for a while (some ran for 3 or 4 days ), with the constant music thumping out and various people coming and going at every hour of the day. Then after the place was boarded up , loads of local homeless moved in and word spread amongst various groups and each evening you would see large groups go in there for the night . I rememebr watching the mass police raid that went in to clear everyone out and the area being taped off after a young males body was found inside, after being beaten to death.

At least then the owners of the building boarded the place up properly , and its recently had a bit of a clean up as well !
Friday 23 October 2009 1.54pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
This is bad news, particularly for the shops and takeaways on the Waterloo Road - there's always folk from the LAC in them.

Yep , i'd say that the fish+chip shop and the chinese opposite the LAS HQ will suffer a loss of quite a large customer base . So will the corner shop opposite as well (which is actually quite a handy place to shop now since it was refurbished and revamped from the grubby off licence it used to be )
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions