London SE1 community website

History of Tenison Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 21 September 2006 1.32pm
ahhaaa! Sheila - you're a touch typist!

TLMFF ?! - correct finger, wrong hand, a sure sign of touch typing.
Thursday 21 September 2006 5.07pm
Hi everyone what do you mean by touch typing,have also found 27 tenison street se1 but these days it is a posh a la carte restaurant am i right?????????????think i may have the wrong area.love mysteries and solving them but this has so far taken six years
Thursday 21 September 2006 5.12pm
There isn't a Tenison Street in SE1 any more.

As I mentioned on the last page, some of the area formerly occupied by Tenison Street is now called Tenison Way, and is a bus interchange for Waterloo station.

It's marked as Ten. Wy. on the map below:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=531014&Y=180134&A=Y&Z=1

Here is an aerial photo.

I don't know at what stage the housing there was cleared. There is one old house left next to the bus station adjacent to the railway arches.

I will try to take a photo for you next time I am passing that way.

You mention that they were married at St John the Baptist Waterloo - the parish church is dedicated to St John the Evangelist and is directly across the road from Tenison Way.

See: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/venue/51/st-johns-waterloo

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 21 September 2006 6.06pm
hi James Hatts
sorry you did say this may sound silly but does the remaing house have a number and how can i find out about 27 Tenison street or is it going to be impossible.found the address in the 1901 census.my grandparents married dec 1937 at the church we mentioned.another silly question is it a catholic church(a reason for that ).
many thanks
sheila beach
Thursday 21 September 2006 8.17pm
Sheila - touch typing, is using all fingers from both hands to type, it's very quick, and you can look at what you are typing, or what you are copying from, without having to look at they keyboard to see where your index finger next has to go for the next key.
good speeds can be upwards of 60 words per minute... while learning, you get taught that each key corresponds with a certain finger, so the index finger on my right hand only ever pushes the j u m 7 n h y 6 keys, and the wedding ring finger only pushes the s x w 2 keys, etc. if you start getting ahead of yourself commond mistakes are gettign letters the wrong way round, putting spaces a plac etoo early or late, and using the correct finger but the wronh gand.

sorry that i don't know anything about 27 Tennison st.
Thursday 21 September 2006 8.34pm
hi jonr
i can do touch typing then and still make mistakes did my training at collage and evening class and hated it and some how passed the exams,but did not do any typing again until we got the computer so am a bit rusty.have been told tenison street is no longer standing and is now tenison way with one house on it.may be hard to find out aabout this house,but thanks any way.
Friday 22 September 2006 11.43am
Sheila are you sure that the church was St John the Baptist, not St John the Evangelist, which is the large church on Waterloo Road, which would have been just down the road from Tenison St according to the map that Mogoot posted.
Friday 22 September 2006 12.38pm
hi sarah
this is the info i have on their marriage certificate
soleminized at the parish church in the parish of st johns waterloo road se1 in the county of london
according to the rites and ceremnies of the established church.does that male any sense as i was told it was st johns the baptist which according to this was wrong.
many thanks for replying
Friday 22 September 2006 5.08pm
There are a couple of good pictures of Tenison Street from the 1930's in the London Metropolitan Archives which should be accessible on the internet (see previous postings) - but I can't get the pictures to come up. Don't know whether its a temporary blip or whether they have withdrawn the service. Anyway image reference numbers are L28154AR and L28015AR. The grey photos make the streets look rather grim but I believe it was part of the carefully planned development by the architect L N Cottingham in 1826. No doubt the street suffered some war damage but whatever was left was swept away for the Festival of Britain.
Incidentally you can see the street on the Waterloo and Southwark map of 1872 published by Alan Godfrey - you should be able to buy that locally.
Friday 22 September 2006 5.53pm
hi Richardh
many thanks for that will have a look and let you know.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions