London SE1 community website

History of Tenison Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Sunday 22 July 2007 5.53pm
There's a small (postage stamp-sized) picture of Tenison Street being demolished dated 30 December 1948 in a new book about the South Bank Centre (including the Festival of Britain) called A Festival on the River.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 14 January 2010 10.29pm
hi sheila ,i know it is a long time since you asked about tenison street just seen this site as i have only memories of what my mother used to tell me about it ,so i can only repeat it to you if you are interested ,my mother was from the north of england ,my father from dublin ,they met and married in1937 ,and had me in1938 this house was let off in rooms ,as most of them where ,when i was born in st thomas's hospital the landlady let us have another room .these where what you call today bed sits ,1940 we were evacuated to the north ,my father was killed in the war 1941,we never returned to london ,but am always curious to know where my parents lived and stories i have been told ,it was a poor area [trust me to be born poor ]4 years since you began looking .hope you have found good things about your folks.just found this site and things i wanted to know .bye
Sunday 20 March 2011 4.55pm
My italian great grandfather was living at 19 tenison st in 1911 census. Was it a restaurant? Any knowledge of an italian community there? History of Tenison st in 1911?
Sunday 22 January 2012 6.09pm
Sheila
probably years too late for your query, I'm researching my grandfather through the electoral rolls. In 1926 he lived at 28 Tenison Street,you ask what this address was, it appears to be a street of multiple occupance with up to five different names appearing at most numbers from 5 through to 44. Grandfather was a builder by trade. can e-mail you a copy of the electoroal roll I have if you like - it is for 1926 but it might be of use just as an example of the occupancy.

Edwins son
Wednesday 22 February 2012 1.12am
little late. I''m rreading the history of THE Titanic. There were a lot of Italian & French Waiters working in THE la carte restaurant on this ship. They were worked first (i understand) in the Ritz and went to THE Titanic working & paid by Mr. Gatti. I copied the name and person lived on nr 27. text:Name: Sig. Jean/Javier Mouros
Marital Status: Single.
Last Residence: at 27 Tenison Street, Waterloo London London England
A la Carte crew
First Embarked: Southampton
Mr Jean Monoros, 20, was born in Spain.
When he signed-on to the Titanic, on 6th April, 1912, his address was 27 Tenison St., Waterloo, S.C., London. The Titanic was his first ship. As a member of the la carte restaurant he was employed and therefore paid by Mr Gatti.

Wednesday 22 February 2012 1.21am
little late. I''m rreading the history of THE Titanic. There were a lot of Italian & French Waiters working in THE la carte restaurant on this ship. They were worked first (i understand) in the Ritz and went to THE Titanic working & paid by Mr. Gatti. I copied the name and person lived on nr 27. text:Name: Sig. Jean/Javier Mouros
Marital Status: Single.
Last Residence: at 27 Tenison Street, Waterloo London London England
A la Carte crew
First Embarked: Southampton
Mr Jean Monoros, 20, was born in Spain.
When he signed-on to the Titanic, on 6th April, 1912, his address was 27 Tenison St., Waterloo, S.C., London. The Titanic was his first ship. As a member of the la carte restaurant he was employed and therefore paid by Mr Gatti.

Sunday 22 April 2018 1.10pm
I've been doing some research into my father's family which lived in Tenison Street in the 1910's and came across this thread so I thought I'd add some information which may be helpful to whoever might be interested in this part of the SE history.

There's a long article here about Tenison Street with photos dating from after the demolition :

https://alondoninheritance.com/london-streets/lost-streets-on-the-southbank/

AND a photo of Tenison Street from 1930 - BEFORE the demolition ! :

https://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/view-item?key=SHsiUCI6eyJzdWJqZWN0X2lkIjo3NDg0Miwiam9pbl9vcCI6Mn19&WINID=1524387587377#nBfwbwVCE0YAAAFi7JSbpQ/93551

Hope you enjoy !
Sunday 22 April 2018 2.11pm
Thank you Michel for the link London Inheritance am trawling it now..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions