London SE1 community website

Bicycle Enforcement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Wednesday 20 September 2006 12.08pm
Le Roi - i think Ivanhoe was refering to anyone (ie everyone) who uses the road. you've just chosen to pick those that one wouldn't normally think of, i presume he wanted to include the normal majority ie car, van, truck, lorry, bus, moped, scooter, motorbike users.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 12.29pm
Please start one that states cyclist dismount before entering the subway near Searles Road/New Kent road...the buggers nearly got me again last night..!
Wednesday 20 September 2006 2.39pm
As a pedestrian (I walk 30 min too and from work a day in the city), cyclist including around More London (past cycling proficiency test in 1970 and even still have my triangular badge), scooterist (is that a word?), big motor-cylist and car driver I really am torn on which side of the flesh torn barbed wire fence to come down on.

Personally I don't have hugely strong views except noticing the July 7 bombings sucked a very large quantity of very inexperienced and wobbly cyclists and scooter riders onto the the busy roads. I suppose most would have learnted how to cope by now or gone back to the Tube.

I do think it is healthy that we can all get things off our chest and let off steam. I really enjoy reading of the rants. If we do this rather than abuse each other in the street, this site would have served a useful purpose!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 20 September 2006 3.13pm
Le Roi wrote:
The stats dont support the attitude that there is a 'problem'. In the absence of statistics, are we not left with prejudice and intolerance to explain the 'debate'?
2c

It ha been widely reported in the press this week that central London has seen a drop in auto vehicle accidents and an increase in those involving cyclists.

Are these the stats you were looking for?
Wednesday 20 September 2006 4.48pm
I wonder, if they did an on the spot fine for pedestrians crossing a pelican crossing when the little ‘person' was on red and not green, would all pedestrians abide by this rule?

And say, if you saw about 10 or 20 or 30 pedestrians ‘flout' this law, would all pedestrians be then seen as a danger to society?

Surely, the only way forward, getting permission to leave the house by your local authority once you have passed a test!
Wednesday 20 September 2006 5.01pm
Birdie wrote:
It ha been widely reported in the press this week that central London has seen a drop in auto vehicle accidents and an increase in those involving cyclists.
Are these the stats you were looking for?

Could you supply a link to any of these stories, please? I would be very interested in having a look at them.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 6.26pm
daxy69 wrote:
I wonder, if they did an on the spot fine for pedestrians crossing a pelican crossing when the little ‘person' was on red and not green, would all pedestrians abide by this rule?

Funnily enough, my walk to work is across the Millenium Bridge into the City and we've had police on bikes stationed all week around the end of the bridge and on QVS as part of the current operation.

It's all seemed pretty even handed to me so far. I've seen plenty of pedestrians pulled up for crossing the road against the lights (when they cut across traffic) as well as mopeds and cars pulled for running the amber light. Also plenty of cyclists pulled for cycling across the bridge and / or on the pavement leading up to St. Pauls.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 20 September 2006 6.44pm
Andrew, I didn't see this online - I've read it in the papers this week, & heard it on the radio.

I heard tonight on the radio about a 40 strong gang of cyclists armed with knives and "steaming" in New Cross also.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 6.55pm
Birdie, thanks, the 'steaming' story is online at the BBC website.

I have started ploughing through the newspaper websites but haven't found the stats you were referring to yet. I'll keep looking.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 8.23pm
Birdie, have you been at the cider again ;-)

There are no press reports mentioning the accident statistics you describe in any of the following papers this week: Times, Telegraph, Independent, Evening Standard (thisislondon)or Daily Mail (I admit, I didn't look at the Express, Sun or Star). There is no mention on any of the major cycling websites, on RoSPA, the RAC or the DoT.

I also googled for the stats. There aren't even any recent stats, those published by TfL and mentioned previously on this thread being the most relevant and recent. The only more recent (but less relevant) stats that I can find are those published by the DoT on 3 August for Q1 2006 in respect of the whole country. These say that casualty rates for all road users fell against the same time last year EXCEPT that more cyclists were killed or seriously injured on our roads(up 9%) - doesn't say whether as a result of collision with vehicles or collision with terrified pedestrians, but I know which one I think it is.

So, with all due respect, and to answer your earlier question to Le Roi, yes I for one am looking for the stats - and they don't seem to exist!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions