London SE1 community website

Tower Block Horror to go ahead

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 44
Wednesday 1 November 2006 8.28am
Is that coincidence or just planned with malice aforethought!
Wednesday 1 November 2006 8.29am
With respect, the Civic Square in the re-developed Elephant & Castle will be a massive area, bigger than Trafalgar Square. However this does not in any way detract from the idea that Potters Fields would also be a great place for events, displays, etc. Keep going everyone, it's never over till the fat lady sings.
Wednesday 1 November 2006 8.31am
If the first three towers were the only ones built ,then that wouldn't be a faze. It would be the whole thing.

for faze one to be faze one Berkeley Homes would have to know they could build the other fazes.

And they don't,

Even if they can technically build the first three without knowing what Southwark council will do,. And it isn't clear they can ,

That wouldn't make it a wise thing to do, especially if UNESCO are going to provide a list of corrections.
To the setting of the Tower of London. To get it off the endangered list.
Wednesday 1 November 2006 9.50am
Thanks Alan - yes it seems pretty clear that once some preliminary conditions have been complied with they can begin building in phases. That said, there appears to be certain general conditions that must be complied with before ANY building can begin i.e. Condition 8 requiring an archaeological survey. This is, after all, Potter's Fields and I would have thought the archaeological investigation might be quite involved. This will not stop the development completely but it should give Southwark some time to take action.

In that regard I repeat my earlier concern, namely that despite all the recent public handwringing about Berkeley's intention to proceed, it may in the end amount to just that. We might well find that 6-8 months down the road, nothing has been done by Southwark and once Berkeley begin building the council might simply say "there is nothing we can do now".

I know that there are individuals at the Council trying to do what they can but consider that the council had over a decade to expropriate the land and did nothing, had significant time to refuse the application and missed that deadline (which led to the appeal) and now a year has passed when we understood they were negotiating with Berkeley but we now learn no discussions took place.

My view is that every passing week sees this project come closer to fruition. If there is going to be some alternative use, and if there is going to be a resolution of the apparent legal issues that needs to be done now. I do not know what, if anything is being done by the Council in this regard but if we hear nothing in the next few weeks I think we are looking at eight towers before the end of next year.
Wednesday 1 November 2006 11.24am
Please dont overlook the fact that the Appeals process is very expensive, and the BH's of this world have all the money in the world - whereas the councils dont. So half the time the councils fight shy of throwing a spanner in the works because they know that the developer will go to appeal, and it will cost a bomb, and the OPDM will probably override whatever refusal MAY come out of the appeal ....been there, done that, got the T shirt, witness our monster tower going up on top of Metro Central Heights.
Wednesday 1 November 2006 10.08pm
I like my spelling of faze.
Thursday 2 November 2006 10.43am
mickysalt wrote:
I like my spelling of faze.

Interesting - one would almost imagine from this self-congratulatory remark that you deliberately invented some of your spelling and punctuation..

Back to the subject - unfortunately, I doubt that Berkeleys or our Ken are quaking in their boots about any UNESCO intervention. From some of the previous comments it would appear that Southwark have blown an opportunity to influence the development of the land they own. Over the last few years as land values have risen they have sold off other local sites to developers and this particular piece of SE1 must now be one of the most valuable patches of brown field in the borough. Berkeleys visuals are misleading - it's one of the many tricks of the trade to 'market' a development - but in this instance it's impossible to disguise the negative impact of a what is a quite hideous design concept.
Thursday 2 November 2006 11.56am
Breaking news - the UNESCO inspectors are in town today. A Southwark planning officer is accompanying them.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 2 November 2006 12.13pm
Just received this from Nick Stanton
"UNESCO are walking all around the Tower of London site tomorrow (Thursday) 10.30-2.00 (stopping off for lunch en route I suspect). They will come over Tower Bridge at some stage and look at Potters Field. One of our senior planning officers will be accompanying them and will be briefing them about the Berkeley's scheme and the council's objections to it.

I'm afraid we don't know when precisely they'll be hitting our site. "
Friday 3 November 2006 11.00pm
Typical of the press to cover the start of the evaluation in Liverpool , then ignore the Tower of London visit,

I suppose the press will wait to see what the outcome is.
Current: 16 of 44

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions