London SE1 community website

240 Blackfriars Road (opposite Christ Church)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
KM
Wednesday 28 March 2007 3.44pm
KM wrote:
unlike unsuccessful theatrical productions, can be dumped after a few years.

Oops, of course I meant to type 'cannot'.

Far too excitable in my old age!
Wednesday 28 March 2007 4.13pm
I'm now living in southeast London, but I used to live near St George's Circus and worked in Hatfields for a couple of years, just off Stamford Street.

I know Blackfriars Road very well and it's a soul-destroying dump - filled with endless rows of crumbling 70's offices and other grotty-looking buildings. In all honesty, only a couple of buildings are worth saving along there. There is a distinct lack of vibrancy about the place, only a couple of decent pubs and other shops along the entire half-mile stretch running from the river down to St George's Circus. In my opinion it needs a major injection of life and some striking modern architecture would be a good first step.

Blackfriars Road is also a major artery into the centre of Zone One; you're literally 10 minutes' walk from the Square Mile which employs over 300,000 people in financial services. Central London is booming at the moment, with tons of new people and companies spilling outward, many of whom are considering Southwark as a place to live/work; the area has lots of potential and some high-density development is inevitable here.

Southwark is already a fairly highrise borough anyway with literally dozens of tall buildings, some of which are considerably taller than this one. I really don't see what's so "ugly" about this proposal - sorry but it looks quite stylish and futuristic to me, with a sleek angled profile and decent cladding. The floor-to-ceiling windows will certainly appeal to tenants and it will hopefully encourage some retail/entertainment and other amenities to be established nearby.

Sorry if I sound like I'm "bullying" you - I just think you should look at this development in more realistic terms, rather than dismissing it entirely. If we were talking about a small suburb in Kent or a historic town centre in Yorkshire then I could probably understand. But we are talking about a rundown area in the centre of the most urban place in the country, with a booming economy and a need for more high-quality office space.

Despite what people think, I don't automatically support every tall building that comes along - but in my opinion this one is suitable for its location and I welcome it.
Wednesday 28 March 2007 7.54pm
In my opinion there is one thing wrong with this building:

It's not tall enough. It looks to be a VERY high quality design, yet it is quite short (In comparison with say Kings reach, Land Sec's Blackfriars scheme, and Beetham) and won't be very prominent, even though (IMO) it is better than Kings Reach or Beetham. Even if it meant it being built somewhere else (The city maybe? Canary Wharf?) it should have been two too three times taller.

It's a shame:(
Thursday 29 March 2007 3.42am
If peoples idea of local character is drab post war architecutre then god help us all. As has been mentioned this a major wide throughfare into cetral London yet has archtecture that wouldn't look out of place in Staines. This is central London & this area along the Southbank has seen a lot of changes in the last 6-7 years & has made the place more desirable to live & work. This will & has lead to bigger buildings suited to modern office needs. Its the same for high rise residential schemes. The place is now a desirable area to live so people wil want ot live there.

Its seems people are quite happy to see their area spruced up & gain cultural attractions but if anybody else wants to move in , be it residential or office buildings its 'over development'.

Can anybody honestly say Blackfriars rd with its redundant drab & depressing post war buildings is what Southwark aspires to be.
KM
Thursday 29 March 2007 8.10am
'Chacan a son gout'! I'm voting with my feet!
Thursday 29 March 2007 8.44am
I live smack dab in the middle of all this development in the vicinity and I can't wait for it to start. There's the extension to the Tate, which will be brilliant; the tower on the other side of Blackfriars Rd - great; more towers at the back of Bankside Lofts - fantastic; the eventual extension of Tate Modern 3 - wonderful; plus the development of what will be Tate Square behind the museum; on top of all that, that utilitarian monster in Hopton St should be dust when Blackfriars Station is extended over the river. It will be loud and dusty and horrible for awhile. I don't care. It's call a city. It doesn't exist in the past. It changes. Check out Peter Ackroyd's wonderful book and documentary. London at its best is a living, breathing entity. This new building - which is just fine - will be the first step to wiping away the most miserable, ugly stretch of redundant old brick in south london. I'm astounded anyone wants to keep it.
Saturday 31 March 2007 11.39am
Just another thought: In 10 years time - probably less - this whole area will be the most exciting in London, from London Bridge Station, down Southwark Street, down Blackfriars Road, through St George's Circus, to E and C. And, when it's done and dusted, we will wonder what the fuss was all about. Nobody's going to remember these rotting rat-traps. Bring on the bulldozers.
Saturday 31 March 2007 11.59am
kmitchell wrote:
I live smack dab in the middle of all this development in the vicinity and I can't wait for it to start. There's the extension to the Tate, which will be brilliant; the tower on the other side of Blackfriars Rd - great; more towers at the back of Bankside Lofts - fantastic; the eventual extension of Tate Modern 3 - wonderful; plus the development of what will be Tate Square behind the museum; on top of all that, that utilitarian monster in Hopton St should be dust when Blackfriars Station is extended over the river. It will be loud and dusty and horrible for awhile. I don't care. It's call a city. It doesn't exist in the past. It changes. Check out Peter Ackroyd's wonderful book and documentary. London at its best is a living, breathing entity. This new building - which is just fine - will be the first step to wiping away the most miserable, ugly stretch of redundant old brick in south london. I'm astounded anyone wants to keep it.
kmitchell wrote:
Just another thought: In 10 years time - probably less - this whole area will be the most exciting in London, from London Bridge Station, down Southwark Street, down Blackfriars Road, through St George's Circus, to E and C. And, when it's done and dusted, we will wonder what the fuss was all about. Nobody's going to remember these rotting rat-traps. Bring on the bulldozers.

Glad to finally see a resident of SE1 talking sense on this forum!!
Thursday 19 July 2007 10.21am
Looks like KPMG are leaving their building a year earlier than planned:

Great Portland Estates Interim Management Statement wrote:
At Blackfriars Road, SE1 we have executed a surrender arrangement with the current tenant to allow construction work to commence in January 2008, one year earlier than previously reported...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 July 2007 10.58am
Excellent :-D
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions