London SE1 community website

240 Blackfriars Road (opposite Christ Church)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 21 May 2008 10.19am

Looks like there's at least a possibility of a delay on this one:

Great Portland Estates presentation on final results wrote:
This building has the largest capex requirement in our near-term programme and to reduce construction risk we've completed the demolition of the existing buildings and we're currently in cost negotiations with a contractor.
Looking ahead, the SE1 market will continue to be under-supplied with new high quality space, and we have the benefit of time to determine when to commence construction of this scheme.

The site is currently being levelled - maybe for interim car park use I wonder?

Meanwhile there are a couple of planning applications in for variations to the main building and the residential building.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 May 2008 11.01am
Interesting! I live in Burrell Street and our flats are (I believe) the only residential area directly affected by this development, so I contacted GPE to see what was happening next. I've just received the following reply from them:-

Quote: I am responding to your enquiry regarding the intended start on site and programme for our redevelopment of 240 Blackfriars Road. As you rightly point out we have now completed demolition. Over the next few weeks and months we will be undertaking further ground investigation works to ascertain ground conditions to facilitate the future redevelopment. The exact timing of the redevelopment is still under consideration as we review our programme and construction options." End quote.

Doesn't make much sense to me, except a suspicion that they're holding off to see whether 20 Blackfriars Road and the Beetham Tower get the go-ahead. A sort of safety in numbers tall buildings policy!
Wednesday 21 May 2008 11.20am
James Hatts wrote:

Is that likely? Another building site very near was refused temporary car parking permission because it would increase traffic. I'd imagine restricting short-term income would get those developers to get a move on with a very expensive dot of land.

Anyway, I think it's a shame that all the new proposed developments (that I'm aware of) seem to be disproportionately large compared to what's already there. Economies of scale and the need to get a return on land prices, I guess.

Anyone aware of some nice little 3-storey blocks of flats being put up?
Wednesday 21 May 2008 10.09pm
James Hatts wrote:

I'd have thought that downturn or no downturn some illuminated advertising hoardings are a cert for that site. And on the basis of most other sites they will probably go up before planning application has been granted.
Wednesday 4 June 2008 11.47am
There is a tethered balloon on the site at the moment

Sunday 22 June 2008 6.09pm
Looks like my idle speculation about car parking was correct after all:

Monday 23 June 2008 8.39am
Saw them working there yesterday as I live in Quadrant House. I'm going to contact Great Portland Estates and see what they say about this. They never mentioned it last month when I asked how long it would be before they started building. Considering Southwark Council's general stance on yet more car parks, I wonder it it's entirely legal!
Monday 23 June 2008 8.58am
Furthermore if it's going to be a car park I think they ought to reopen the Burrell Street pavement. Now that demolition is complete I can't see any justification for continuing to occupy that space.

Monday 23 June 2008 5.12pm
Strangely all the car park signs have now been torn down.

Tuesday 24 June 2008 10.07am
And the site's closed today. 7 of revenue probably doesn't cover two tea drinkers for 12 hours.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions