London SE1 community website

240 Blackfriars Road (opposite Christ Church)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Tuesday 24 May 2011 3.26pm
GPE now talking about a September start

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 12 January 2012 10.38am
Just had a 'pre-commencement newsletter' to say that work starts this month with completion due in early 2014.

Friday 13 January 2012 9.56am
Work started on Tuesday on clearing the site (yet again) and the substructure. What fun - just had three years of misery from the Thameslink work 24 /7 and just as the end is in sight this starts. Do wish all the demolition / building works in the area could have been coordinated so we had everything at once - in my dreams!

Strnagely, the current contractor is only carry out the basement work, then a second contractor is coming in for the building construction. Perhaps this is normal, but it seems odd to me. Someone in the know in SE1 will no doubt be able to clear up this mystery.
Thursday 7 June 2012 4.29pm
Pavement closure on Blackfriars Road starting soon:

http://www.betterbankside.co.uk/news/development-news/2982-240-blackfriars-road

Sunday 1 July 2012 2.34pm
Webcam:
http://240blackfriars.ubm.com/control/userimage.html

Saturday 23 August 2014 4.27pm
Guided tours on offer as part of Open House:
http://events.londonopenhouse.org/building/19942

Wednesday 24 December 2014 9.33am
Pret a Manger is going to occupy one of the shop units at 240 Blackfriars

Wednesday 24 December 2014 9.42am
Wow - how exciting is that. I can hardly contain myself! Yet more facilities for office workers and tourists and nothing remotely useful for local residents. I suppose we can be thankful it's not another Tesco or Sainsbury's, but Pret is fast catching up - there are at least four within a very short walk of eachother.
Saturday 27 December 2014 6.58pm
Well, Suziq, it gets better. Those clever architects who put up these marvellous icons (to be viewed from afar while resembling hostile cliffs from where you and me go) have come up with another wheeze with which to wow the public. The ‘crystalline’ cliff face of glass above the footway cunningly directs a waterfall of waste water of the window-cleaners, and of the rain, right into the middle of the footway. Such simplicity, such elegance.

This is so characteristic of modern design. Their noses are so stuck in the air that they overlook something as fundamental as what to do with the rain, which I hear falls from time to time in our fair city, other than dump it on the plebs who lack the good fortune to be inside of their prize-winning structure.
Sunday 28 December 2014 1.12pm
and they never leave their offices to see how their design has affected mere mortals.
I still chuckle every time I think of the lens effect of the walkie talkie building.... simple physics? No just simple methinks.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions