London SE1 community website

Tesco Old Kent Road - Re-development

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14
Friday 6 October 2006 10.07am
Tesco will be obliged to include an element of social and key worker housing, and if this percentage is around 30% (as it is in other developments), we could be looking at around 100 new homes for those who are unable to afford market rate. This is fantastic news anyway you look at it. The fact that Tesco is extremely profitable (because they are very good at what they do) really has nothing to do with it.

Chris
Friday 6 October 2006 11.02am
It may even go above 30% given that replacement accommodation needs to be found for Aylesbury Estate residents, so the council will need to find more space.

If I were one of them, I am sure I would be delighted to move there.

Good town planning in action.
Friday 6 October 2006 1.12pm
Of course there is a programme for replacement housing for the Aylesbury Estate, just as there is for the Heygate Estate. The accommodation for the Aylesbury residents will also be in the area, and has nothing to do with whatever Tesco may or may not build. It is obligatory to rehouse people if you pull their houses down! The reason the Aylesbury is being demolished is that it has proved impossible to repair (or prohibitively expensive), even though the majority of the residents wanted to keep it. I know, I have a flat there, and the flats themselves are super.
Saturday 7 October 2006 12.47am
carmenes82 wrote:
Tesco will be obliged to include an element of social and key worker housing, and if this percentage is around 30% (as it is in other developments), we could be looking at around 100 new homes for those who are unable to afford market rate. This is fantastic news anyway you look at it. The fact that Tesco is extremely profitable (because they are very good at what they do) really has nothing to do with it.
Chris

"Good at what they do"? You mean land banking and thus locking competitors out of locations? Because that is what actually they do - which is why the Competitions Commission has been forced to start an inquiry into the goings on in the grocery market.

There is a lot more to their profitablity than good apple polishing and and shiny flourscent lights...
Sunday 15 October 2006 9.52am
Did anyone get to see the plans for the re-development ?
Sunday 15 October 2006 11.36am
I think they would only be embryonic at the moment.
Monday 16 October 2006 9.39am
martinr wrote:
Did anyone get to see the plans for the re-development ?

Yes - they were handing out glossy brochures at the store on Friday and Saturday. As Jackie said, the plans don't really tell us anymore than we already know, other than the fact that the re-generation will include improvement works to both OKR itself and the entrance to Burgess Park. At the back of the brochure was a tear-off card which allowed you to vote in favour or against the scheme and a box for comments...I voted 'yes'!

Chris
Monday 16 October 2006 11.25am
carmenes82 wrote:
Yes - they were handing out glossy brochures at the store on Friday and Saturday. As Jackie said, the plans don't really tell us anymore than we already know, other than the fact that the re-generation will include improvement works to both OKR itself and the entrance to Burgess Park. At the back of the brochure was a tear-off card which allowed you to vote in favour or against the scheme and a box for comments...I voted 'yes'!

Chris

Thanks - was there any idea of the timescales for development ?
Monday 16 October 2006 12.00pm
I believe that Tesco will be putting in a planning application in December/January, although this was not confirmed in the brochure (they just said that the next stage was a planning application).

Anybody else know the likely timetable?

Chris
Monday 16 October 2006 1.21pm
Planning applications take ages, so dont hold your breath. My guess is we are about two years off from start...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions