London SE1 community website

Wicked 2

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Thursday 3 July 2003 12.51pm
[Treads carefully into the mire...]

Have any grounds been given by the police for the application to revoke the liquor licence?

The Met normally only take action of this sort when they have serious concerns over the management of licensed premises.

I cannot see any reference to the reasoning behind the Police's reported approach in the thread to date, apart from an early claim that the Cathedral put them up to it.
Thursday 3 July 2003 6.27pm
Tim Woodward & Others,

I would agree with Mel that your very first post was well put and informative and made the case for not objecting to Wicked on the grounds soley because it is a fetish club, a statement I happen to agree with.

Since then your arguments and personal jibes at Mel and others have devalued your arguments to the point where I think you have nothing more to add to the debate. The discussion here is about what is happening at a licensed premises in the borough and whatever you and your girl friend get up to with a hairdryer on a Friday night is of no interest to me, the police or indeed to many people watching this forum other than possibly the Sheridans their crew and Charles Simon.
It is of no consequence to me whether Wicked is to be run as a fetish style, gay or straight club but it is a concern that is operated in a legal and law-abiding fashion. From the outset it soon became clear that the establishment was not being run in accordance with its licensing provisions. I understand that Police enquiries started at the beginning of February - just six weeks into their tenure.
There has been a blizzard of rant from the now silenced Sheridans attempting to rebut any suggestion of wrong doing with dark hints of legal action towards James Hatts for daring to allow this thread to recommence as well as amusingly suggesting that he contacts them whenever he needs to hear the truth for any article - yes well quite. Not to mention the public sacking of Robin from London Fetish Scene and their failed attempt to rubbish his colleagues as an inexperienced bunch of amateurs.

It is a fact that both Sheridans were found to be unsuitable persons to hold the licences at the establishment and the reasons for this serious public censure will I am sure be made public shortly. It is very possible that there has been some serious wrong doing at the premises which triggered this conclusion which may include overcrowding, selling alcohol beyond licensing hours, unlicensed security and door staff, employing illegal aliens, allowing sex to be engaged in on the premises and I don't mean a little snogging in a corner! Perhaps it was that licences were not obtained for body piercing or tattooing or operating a cinema or maybe its due to the fact that No 2 Tooley Street (The Gothic Arches) should not have been used at all as it remains unlicensed - take your pick! I regret that I do not know which of the above was used to base the decision to ban the Sheridans from holding these positions of public trust - a ruling that has not been reversed in the last 8 months of their tenure.

Oh and on the point of tenure I find it very strange that the Sheridans would have “acquired” the club on the 16th December 2002 and now be putting it up for auction on Thursday 17th July. The sale particulars state who the leaseholders are and it aint them! Not “bull” - FACT!

However, I am pleased to see this thread is still serving a purpose as the Sheridans no longer welcome children into their establishment. I am not at all surprised that concerned local parents may have tested the Sheridans on this point by making the enquiry you allege, I don't know who did it but I applaud whoever did.

Another reaction to the thread is that the club capacities were recently altered on its website so potential bookers of the club are no longer being mislead as to the full capacity of the venue. Of course the recent evidence that the Sheridans were allowing up to 500 patrons into the club has not been addressed here but greed is a great motivator and this will no doubt be picked up later.

Mel Allen has explained the hearing on Monday 7th July at Camberwell Green Magistrates Court earlier. Attendees to this hearing may well include Mr Dick Becker who according to the Sheridans “sold” them the club on 16th December 2002 and yet remains as the principal licensee to this day, appears to be the managing director of the company that holds the leases to the premises and who has provided the Sheridans with staff whom they sacked and who now are suing them for wrongful dismissal. The offered verification by Mr Becker of the sale has yet to be received and in the light of the auction notices is no longer expected.

I think we will not have to wait too long to see what is in store for the Sheridans and any hidden or otherwise agendas will begin to emerge.

Nemesis.
Thursday 3 July 2003 7.50pm
As I now have more time to follow this board I would be interested to see some proof about this auction, or be told how or where to find it.

My principle objection to 'the general' is that in my opinion he is a liar, cheat and thief. There's no point in going into it here so if you want to know why I think this then drop me a line and I'll explain.

I have no objection to the venue or that it is used for fetish clubs. In fact I went there many times and liked the venue immensely when it was used by TG. I have worked in the area, know it well and have lived in South London (SE27) for fifteen years.

Despite 'the general's' spiteful attacks he is wrong in saying that I have not met him. I have met him and his partner on several occasions at various fetish clubs, including Cynthia's Cyberbar. I have to say that when I met him he treated me as one of the 'plebs' and was unfriendly and uncooperative, a fairly typical attitude it seems.

With that sort of 'holier than thou' attitude and the willingness to flagrantly break the rules it is no wonder that the general has managed to get up so many peoples noses...

I'll admit it would be nice to have the sort of flash cars, money and 8 acre mansion that the general owns. I have made a better job of running a fetish club on a tiny budget than they have with a shedload of cash. So if anyone fancies subbing me half a million or more to build the fetish empire that the general can only dream of, I'll make you proud if not rich!

Friday 4 July 2003 9.19am
Hello Robin,

Nice to have you back and well said !!

The Auction House is Barnett Ross and Wicked is Lot 33 - the details can be viewed on:-

http://195.224.227.34/website/lot.asp?pos=33

Pay particular interest to the name of the leaseholder.

Please get in touch directly with any more information you may wish to share.

Cheers

S Pilot
nemesislondon@yahoo.co.uk

Friday 4 July 2003 8.47pm
It seems things are coming to something of a head in this saga.

The hopefully disinterested and objective legal apparatus of the state will now make its judgement. I suppose if there are any juicy revelations, we can expect the usual redtop feeding frenzy from Bazza Murdoch's boys and girls.

The sound of knives being sharpened is almost deafening, and if things don't go as anticipated, there's likely to be some tear-filled glasses of ale around the borough later on.

After the latest round of contributions, I think my initial observations still stand.

Let British Justice take its course !

The theme of this thread would make an excellent basis for a soap opera. In Germany they have "Die Rote Meile", which is the story of one of the sex bars in Hamburg's redlight district. It's very entertaining and well-written with a pretty honest account of what goes on. Perhaps the UK is almost ready for something similar.

Post edited (04 Jul 03 21:56)
Monday 7 July 2003 12.49pm
Another interesting aspect of this whole debate is the role of the Dean of Southwark Cathedral. I listened to his interview on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning (regarding the gay bishop issue). He stated that the Church should have no place for bigotry and prejudice. Isn't this the same Dean of Southwark Cathedral who has been campaigning so strongly against the evils of a fetish club? Prejudice against people with un-Christian sexual lifestyles?
Monday 7 July 2003 12.56pm
This thread now takes so long to load that I have closed it and opened a new one for discussion to continue.

The new version of the forum software will allow threads to be split into multiple pages.

Thanks,

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions