London SE1 community website

Wicked 2

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11
Thursday 29 May 2003 1.32pm
S Pilot

We now know who you are which helps a great deal.

As you know, we purchased Cynthia's Night Club from Mr Dick Becker effective 16th December 2002 as Mr Becker will be happy to verify. The financial arrangements between us are private but include payment for the leasehold interest and fixtures and fittings.

We applied in January for all licenses to be transferred to our and additional key members of staff who are responsible for the operational management of the club however since the Dean of Southwark has objected and put pressure on the police to object we have had no choice but to wait until the relevant hearings before these transfers can take place. In the meanwhile we have applied and paid for all the PEL licenses. We are also paying rates and have had all the statutory visits from the Council and Fire departments.

Envy is a deadly thing or should we say sin? Yes we like to host elegant parties where people dress up but we wish to correct you in regard to your accusation of us hosting parties with “live animal acts”. We do not allow children or animals into our clubs and certainly do not feature any such acts. You are obviously used to attending a very different sort of club to ours.

Our takeover of the lease did not include the business or it's employees. However we offered several of the key members of the previous staff employment in our new business. The person taking us to an employment tribunal was actually an employee of the previous owners not Wicked as will be shown at the tribunal itself if it takes place at all.

Several members of our staff are locals.

Your speculations are wishful thinking and your desire for silence speaks a thousand words.

Brian and Caroline Sheridan

Thursday 29 May 2003 1.43pm
Robin

We have never met you. You do not know us and you have never been to our Club.

From the outset you hated everything that we stood for and you did everything possible to hinder any coverage of Wicked on your website, which surprised us at the time as the LFS purports to be independent and unbiased. We then discovered that you were also part owner or certainly personally involved with Club L'Amour, the fetish swingers club in Croydon where sex regularly takes place on the premises as well as BDSM activity, which explained why this club featured heavily on the LFS site at the time. Despite your resistance you have had to feature Wicked because we are a major player on the scene and several independent contributors have sent in reviews, which would have been difficult for you not to feature.

Our statement said that “The London Fetish Scene website is run by a group of volunteers who are IN THE MAIN quite new to the scene and are quite young and inexperienced in the commercial world so relying upon this website for an insight into the Fetish Scene is very naive. They do not represent remotely the views of the 1400 + members of Club Wicked that have joined our club during the first year or most of the Fetish fraternity.”

This is true of yourself and several other volunteers. There are a number of exceptions however including Alexia who is more mature and is experienced both in the scene and commercially and in addition has always been very fair in her reviews of Wicked. More recently bobette (who is a member of our committee and also commercially astute) started working for the LFS and has tried to ensure that photos and press releases are posted in a timely manner. We do not believe that the LFS represents the views of our members or the community at large but understand why you would beg to differ.

With regard to our events calendar, if you deduct the days for Club Wicked, Extremely Wicked, Wicked Dance and the IFF that generally leaves 27 days in the month although on the one month in the year when there are only 28 days obviously this leaves less days for corporate events and dance promotions. Club Champagne is an elegant club for couples and is not fetish. It is a matter of opinion as to whether people would consider this to be a conventional night and as you have never been to this club or any other you are not qualified to say.

With regard to your attempt to discredit my background as a Property Developer, I did indeed once own a company called Mercury Group Ltd, which was formed 13 years ago in 1990 as a single purpose company to complete a 60m major development in London with General Accident. Because certain politicians misled me I spent 850,000 preparing the site acquisition and the planning application only to have it rejected leaving the company short of 48,414.25 to be precise which meant that the company had to be put into liquidation but guess who the biggest creditor of this company was by miles - ME. The majority of creditors involved have continued to do business with me over the past 13 years and I have ensured that they recovered their losses. For someone who is apparently facing personal bankruptcy you should not throw stones when you are living in a glass house yourself!

Your accusations regarding the way we run our business and our sexual preferences and position on “informed consent” are ill informed, inaccurate and purely intended to damage.

When one of our valued subcontractors hired you to work on a freelance basis on our websites a few months ago we were obviously very concerned about this however Nich, the owner of the company who we trust implicitly, assured us that you would be professional and that your personal feelings about us would not affect your work on some of the technical aspects of our sites so we reluctantly agreed. We now do not believe this to be the case and find your hypocrisy quite amazing. You will of course no longer be working for us directly or indirectly from now on.

Brian and Caroline
Thursday 29 May 2003 5.48pm
Inevitably once it was in the Telegraph it was going to be picked up by other papers - this is from today's Standard

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/5065161

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 29 May 2003 8.33pm
QUOTE: “The London Fetish Scene website is run by a group of volunteers who are IN THE MAIN quite new to the scene and are quite young and inexperienced in the commercial world...This is true of yourself and several other volunteers. There are a number of exceptions however including Alexia who is more mature and is experienced both in the scene and commercially and in addition has always been very fair in her reviews of Wicked." UNQUOTE

Utter tosh. I am a qualified accountant with 15 years experience behind me. I have been on the fetish scene for more years than I care to justify. Most other LFS crew are equally or more experienced in their respective professional and commercial fields, some having won national awards for their excellent work. If we were the raggle-taggle bunch of amateurs you so erroneously make us out to be (just cos we didn't all suck up to you and your dodgy schemes), then how come our site is one of the biggest and most popular in the scene? In the top 1% of sites in the whole world for hits? We have plenty of very sharp business acumen in the crew - you just don't know it, so you attempt to claim there is very little. Awwww diddums.

Don't insult me or my colleagues just because your own venture isn't having a unanimous welcome. Get your facts right!

For the record, I suspect that if you dropped the Nazi chic and its associated weak justifications, you might attract a lot less flak. Having said that, I know you won't and you obviously fail to realise that this is why so many people choose not to attend Wicked. There, that was some free advice that might be of some use to you - have you got the sense or the balls to take it? We'll see...

Stimpy
(writing in a personal capacity and not representing the views of all the crew members or the LFS editorial)

Post edited (29 May 03 21:35)
Thursday 29 May 2003 9.35pm
I think we have moved away from having a useful debate about the moral issues and practical implications of Wicked for the local area to providing a platform for interested parties to wash their dirty linen.

Now that everyone has had their say, perhaps some of the discussion would be more relevant on the LFS forums rather than here?

If people continue to use this thread to pursue their personal disputes, it will have to be closed, which would be a shame.

Thank you,

James

Thursday 29 May 2003 11.35pm
We would be inclined to agree with the Author at this point,
This sort of thing does the Fetish scene an injustice.
As you will know if you know us, we speak for ourselves.
If you would like our personal thought,s please move the thread to somewhere suitable.
Thanks
Anthony
Friday 30 May 2003 10.04am
But what happened to the third Musketeer? I think we should be told.....

'bette
Friday 30 May 2003 10.46am
Why do I object so strongly to Wicked?

Because of what it is, a Fetish Club.
The Sheridans deny that Club Wicked is a fetish club but is a promotion run at the Wicked Night Club Bar & Restaurant. This I claim is nonsense for two reasons:
First.
If you examine the events held at the venue in May (details from www.wickednightclub.com) you can see
Mondays closed
Tuesday Vanilla Ice - Fetish
Wednesday - public
Thursday - G Spot
Friday - KC's fantasy Friday
Saturday Various - All fetish
Sunday - closed except for last Sunday International Fetish Fair - Fetish
And so in May closed 7 days, “normal” 14 days, fetish 10 days

Second.
The various job vacancies available at the venue are not advertised on www.wickednightclub.com but on the “promotion” site www.clubwicked.org. If the former site is supposed to be about the venue and the latter about a single promotion at the venue, why?

Why do I object to Wicked as a Fetish Club?
First.
I really dislike the whole philosophy of mixing sex and violence. If that makes me a pervert-o-phobe then so be it.

Second
Because of where it is.
Next door to the Cathedral. I am not a Christian; I am not a member of the Cathedral. It is an inescapable fact that the church was there first and their opinions should be taken into account. The Dean has made it very clear he has very strong concerns about having this establishment on his doorstep. I think they are valid and should be listened to.

The Sheridans also claim that they keep themselves to themselves and do no advertising outside the venue. How is it then that when I walked past yesterday morning there were flyers for this Saturday's party freely available?

If we must have a fetish club in SE1, let's have it somewhere else. Which brings me back to the question. Brian & Caroline you say you have acquired a second venue in SE1, where?

Friday 30 May 2003 7.24pm
Today's Evening Standard has a longer interview with the Sheridans:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifeandstyle/articles/5085046

Post edited (30 May 03 20:30)

Friday 30 May 2003 9.19pm
Thanks for that link James

pmsl

This must be the best quote ever form Mr Sheridan (40)

"The only reason this has become a drama is because I've got a bloody great cathedral next door and a dean who suffers from not-in-my-back-yard syndrome"

i'm sorry but really :)

editted to add age.

Post edited (30 May 03 22:25)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions