London SE1 community website

Can anyone recommend a GP surgery please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 14 April 2010 7.00pm
markadams99 wrote:
Surgeries recommended here refuse to take me as I live in Shad Thames, outside their catchment area half a mile away.

Parker's Row would presumably take you, on that basis?

http://www.drsabhatti.co.uk/

If so then I'd say this about them and you can pick and choose based on what's wrong with you (I've been ill a lot...) although Dr Bhatti himself I have never had an appointment with.

Dr Das is, while not very old, in the old school of medicine, efficient, perhaps a bit bossy, will know what he thinks is best (though that may well be telling you to go away and wait to get better).

Dr Somalingham is an older lady, the least fluent English speaker of the practice though good enough for most purposes and better than a lot of medical professionals I've seen. Quite helpful when you're seeking a referral, which sometimes GPs can obstruct in this day of internal markets.

Dr Paul is a younger woman - late thirties perhaps? Fluent English once you adjust to her accent, and much keener to involve you in what's going on with your care, probably has a fallback career as a counsellor if anything goes wrong with the medical employment market. She would undoubtedly tell you you are handsome and healthy, even if it's a lie.

The nurse at the practice is adamant that I have high blood pressure, though I strongly suspect that this is because whenever I have my blood pressure taken I have just had to use the tube. I didn't have high blood pressure when I had it checked at St Thomas' open day, nor in ASDA.
Wednesday 5 May 2010 1.40pm
Interesting that on this thread Mill St is recommended :

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/8328/page=1

It is very close to me so obviously preferred to the others that are 20 mins away, I guess it is all luck of the draw, which doctor you get and if the are in a good mood that day!
Thursday 6 May 2010 11.30am
Markadams99, in todays southwark and bermondsey news there is article about Lister Health Centre in Peckham, not here in se1! BUT they have a walk in arrangement, even for patients who are not registered, or unable to see g.p. in working hours, open from 8 till 8 every day, or visiting the area.

It's run by the Hurley Group partnership.It's seen 20,000 patients in it's first year.

You can only see my G.P. 23 hours a week! 9-12 and 4-6 all week except wednesday when it is only 9-12.. and no saturday morning..:-( terrible hours if you are working...
Thursday 6 May 2010 12.44pm
Jan,

I noticed that place too, and although it is a 30 min walk, at least the hours are great. With that and the minor injury/ailment clinic at Guy's Hospital, I am not sure if I really need to register with a GP, but even if I do there are at least options.
Thursday 6 May 2010 6.08pm
Very useful, Jan. Strikes me there should be free movement between surgeries everywhere instead of a segmented, provider-centric system.
Friday 7 May 2010 12.08pm
jacksosi wrote:
Interesting that on this thread Mill St is recommended :
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/8328/page=1

It is very close to me so obviously preferred to the others that are 20 mins away, I guess it is all luck of the draw, which doctor you get and if the are in a good mood that day!

I won't go back there ever again.
Friday 7 May 2010 6.14pm
Jacksosi - I think the clue is in the dates of those postings. I always found Mill St really good however in the last few years it really seems to have gone downhill & both myself & my partner have come away from appointments feeling less than happy about the care we have received.
Sunday 9 May 2010 8.21pm
I hadn't noticed the 2003 date :0), sorry about that!

Ok so Mill St is out, and the others are far enough away that I may as well just use the walk in centre.

Cheers

Si.
Saturday 11 June 2011 8.08pm
These comments have helped me to decide what GP to change to, as not happy with current. Grange Road Practise is the one I am currently with, not very happy with them, Its very hard to get referal by them for anything. They dont put themselves out either.

The only good thing is, they have a morning walk in and the afternoon is for appointments only. But morning walk ins you can be waiting for up to 2hr unless you rush there early and queue outside before opens. but the afternoon appointments you dont wait long.

There are 3 doctors at this practise. I personally find them very unhelpful from my own experience.
DR Ezeji does not seem to enteract with patients and is more concerned with NHS costs the the patients health.
DR Khan is alright and good on the medicine side and knowing of side affects but again both doctors do not seem to want to refer you or put themselves out when you really need it. The are not very understanding.
DR Haider, lady doctor I only saw once, she was very easy to talk to and very friendly as well but I felt I still didnt get what I needed from her even, which was a letter of support for a benefit I needed to apply for.

So over all, I do feel that they care more about the NHS costs for referals and letters then they do the actual patient.
Thursday 16 June 2011 6.39pm
Hi, interesting and helpful what you said about various doctors at this practise, as I have just joined it as wasnt happy with my other doctors, my first appointment is with a DR Kheli, which unfortunately you did not mention on your list. I wanted Dr Bhatti but he was booked and I need to get prescription for my repeats so had to see doctor quick. I am seeing her tomorrow.

3 locals to me have said that Dr Das and Bhatti are very good that I asked.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions