London SE1 community website

Metro Central Heights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 4 November 2006 11.35am
hayal wrote:
I don't suppose I will have any way of checking out whether any of the things mentioned (the closeness of the tube exit, the view from the flat, the "wonderful" facilities of the building etc) until we actually get there and with the baby and my sister, I am just a little nervous about getting it wrong! :)

Hey there. I am sure you will have a good time! If it is only for a week and you have already said that you have no intention of straying from the short path from the tube to the 24hr-security-front-door. Why are you so worried about the area? PLus, I am sure even if the common parts are less than perfect you will still have a nice holiday (he says trying to sound reassuring). :o)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Sunday 5 November 2006 9.59pm
Elephant & Castle will be a great base for a break in London. You are quite literally across the road from the tube station which will take you to anywhere you'd like to visit in London in a matter of minutes, and loads of buses for a more leisurely but more interesting journey. If the flat is high up enough and facing the right direction you will have a great view too.

And after a hard day of shopping and sightseeing the steam room will be a welcome rest.

Elephant isn't really so bad. You've got the shopping centre over the road which although ugly and seemingly run down has a Tesco open until 10pm, Iceland until 8pm plus essentials likes Boots, Superdrug, WHSmith, shoe repairers etc. I've lived here for several years and come home at all times of day and night and have never felt uneasy: there's always loads of people around waiting for buses, even in the early hours of a weekday morning. As long as you don't go waving digital cameras and wodges of cash around you'll be fine - this applies anywhere really.
Monday 6 November 2006 9.22am
Thank you for all of your answers. I do feel a lot better about it after reading your comments. I have short listed a few flats which are suitable, including the Metro one, its up to my sister now to pick where she wants to stay :)
Wednesday 21 March 2007 7.21pm
Does anyone know if the E&C pub building will be demolished as part of the regeneration? Why have temporary adverts been allowed to be placed over the outside of the building, it looks awful!
Wednesday 21 March 2007 8.05pm
Not at all, it's been refurbished. Nothing of the Metro Complex is being demolished, quite the reverse, we've got a bloody great tower going up on our parking lot. So we're being added to. I think you'll find the advertisment frames are now empty.
Thursday 22 March 2007 9.47am
Hi Hayal,

I can add to all the comments in favour of MCH, I started renting there a couple of years ago and liked it so much I bought. There are quite a few people living there with young kids and as a woman often coming home alone at night I have never had any trouble or felt threatened. The entrance is right on the main road by the tube station and bus stops so there are always lots of people around. Also, as others have said the transport is unbeatable, you can get the bus to most places and the tube anywhere else, infact you can walk to a lot of central London if you feel like it. I walk to covent garden everyday, takes about 35 minutes and my partner walks to westminster in slightly less than that. E&C isn't the smartest area, but for visiting London it's a great base.
Friday 23 March 2007 12.48pm
I'm surprised MCH allows short lets of only 1 week. Most apartment buildings I know of have leases which don't allow this.
Friday 23 March 2007 4.39pm
Well, if someone in the block wants to let their flat for a week or two and finds a willing rentee (I'm indeed in the market for holiday rentals when I'm away which I am for half of the year) I cant see it can be stopped. Fully fledged tenancies...another thing. But frankly, our lease says "No students and No Multiple Lettings" which is a bloody LAUGH. The place is teeming with students bunking up ten to a room. Try and keep on top of 420 flats...and dont think the management does anything about it. They just take our money.
Friday 23 March 2007 5.32pm
have you actually found a flat with ten people sleeping per room Jackie?
Friday 23 March 2007 6.39pm
Slight, but only slight, hyperbole, William. Will inform you by pm what I HAVE found.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions