London SE1 community website

College Project - Filming along the River Thames - Best locations etc

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 9 November 2006 1.43pm
I do have my own ideas,but i just want to expand on them. Im studying a media course but filming doesent start until Jan-Feb time but next week we have to put our ideas forward.

Most of the group dont really know what they are doing totally including myself ideas wise.

I did want to do a day in the life of a waterman on the River but it has to be a expiremental film and this wouldent work so its all so hard.
Thursday 9 November 2006 2.05pm
What about focusing on some of the other groups that use the Thames - they might be happy to help you out ?

For example, the London Division of the Royal Naval Reserve is based at HMS President, near Tower Bridge overlooking the entrance to St Katharine Docks. It is home to over 370 officers and ratings, and is one of the largest Royal Naval Reserve units in the country.

The Unladylike Ms. Jo [on this forum] is also involved with another group that occasionally go messing about on the river, but I can't remember which one at the moment.

Or there's the Tenacious Jubilee Sailing Trust - I think they sometimes come up river on the Thames ?

Not sure exactly what you mean by the film has to be experimental, but if you want to get out on the water, I would guess a voluntary group would be most likely to help you out for free !
Thursday 9 November 2006 3.36pm
What about a film of some of the different weather conditions on the Thames? It could look visually stunning: storms, mist, wind, rain, sun, sunsets and sunrises.

Maybe film 24 hours with the camera in one location and speed up the film to show the changing light/weather in 5 minutes total

Many famous painters have painted the Thames - Turner, Monet, Whistler etc You could film some the locations they painted at the same time of day and show the differences with landscape today.
Tuesday 14 November 2006 11.47am
Thanks for everyones overall comments,been a great help.
Getting out on the water is no problem as i have many contacts with Tug companys & Passenger boat firms etc.

My ideas board is tomorrow at 9:30am and heres the ideas im putting forward:

•To film the River Thames from morning to night

•Show different aspects of the River such as :

Sightseeing
Tugs
Commuting
Sailing
Police
Night life party boats & restaurant boats etc

•Show sights of London such as :

Tower of London,
Tower Bridge
London eye
Canary Wharf

•Music in the background, possibly changing to what goes on.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 14 November 2006 11.53am
Have you thought of reintroducing flanerie (sp?) as a documentary mode? Very popular in Victoria Paris it might translate well to video, so long as you don't get arrested for stalking!
Tuesday 14 November 2006 11.54am
What about a portrait of SE1 and maybe James would post it on this site if it was good (which I'm sure it will be)?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions