London SE1 community website

20 mile an hour zone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Saturday 11 November 2006 6.02pm
Connie has a very fair point.
Ruffers: Traffic moving more slowly = traffic moving more slowly, more peole getting held up. more traffic fumes for us to breathe.

It's not the speed limit that causes the accidents it's dangerous behaviour by drivers AND pedestrians.

The drivers who cause acciodents are the ones who ignore any speed limit, lane hop, undercut a cut and then push in, speed and go through red lights. You see this round here every day. They are going to pay as notice of the 20mph speed limit as they do any other regulayion IE NONE.
They don't seem to get stopped and if you get run off the road by one of these idiots who are you going to call?

There are also pedestrians who plung off the pavement without looking on the grounds that cars have to screech to a halt. Usually one does.

Last year I saw a woman cross a junction by pushing a pushchair out without looking into the path of an oncoming car who did not have a hope of stopping in time but did his absolute best and only caught the chair a glancing blow leaving the child unharmed if scared. The woman screamed blue murder at him although it had entirely been her fault and it was only by his very quick reactions that the child wasn't killed. He wasn't doing anything like 20mph as he was coming up to a junction but if he hadn't reacted so fast and swerved the child would have been crushed.

The woman just screamed at him and carried on walking down the road.
Insane.

It doesn't matter how many laws you pass if you don't prosecute the real evil idiots but only the decent people who do their best because they are easy to catch.
Tuesday 14 November 2006 1.15pm
the 'best' thing to do, in my opinion, would be re-education on the highway code. There are lots of rules/laws/regulations, and several of these differ from country to country slightly (for example Jay Walking), and the severity or punishment of not adhearing to them.

there are people out there who don't know the rules in the highway code, or chose to believe that they don't apply to them.

All rules of the road apply equally to all road users (for 'Road' - read highway/public right of way/ road/ street/ Lane/ footway, etc.)

if everyone followed all the rules, the only 'accidents' would be accidental.

not stopping at a red light, and crashing, that would be someone's fault.
crossing the road at somewhere not desiganated as a crossing point, and getting mashed, that is someones fault.
Tuesday 14 November 2006 5.03pm
In my opinion, the idea that people could only cross a road at a "designated crossing point" in an urban area like much of Southwark (perhaps other than trunk roads) is problematic because it enforces the dominance of one way of travelling over another.

One reason for Southwark's 20 mph maximum limit must be to enable people to cross the road safely without having to provide the paraphenalia of barriers, lights etc.. which are costly, restrictive and ugly.

People always tend to take the shortest route, and fighting against this is what brought us the subways at Elephant - and as the stream of people crossing the road at Elephant & Castle suggests despite 6 lanes of traffic and railings, these physical measures will never work.

Recent research suggests that, contrary to prevalent highway traffic management thinking, removing this sort of barrier helps to blur the boundaries between “carriageway” and the public realm and makes all road users, whether in cars or on foot, notice and take account of each other. Exhibition Road in London is planned to have this treatment soon. The 20mph restriction also helps makes this approach safe.

Some interesting photos of how others in Europe do it here: http://www.hamilton-baillie.co.uk/gallery.htm. Note the "traffic calming by lying-down cat"!
Anonymous User
Tuesday 14 November 2006 5.14pm
Luke wrote:
In my opinion, the idea that people could only cross a road at a "designated crossing point" in an urban area like much of Southwark (perhaps other than trunk roads) is problematic because it enforces the dominance of one way of travelling over another.

I had to read that several times to beieve my eyes!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 15 November 2006 9.05am
Davies wrote:
It doesn't matter how many laws you pass if you don't prosecute the real evil idiots but only the decent people who do their best because they are easy to catch.

How much do I agree with this statement! - in fact it just about sums up living in the UK right now! Easy targets are all the so called authories of every type are interested in. Anything thing that involves effort goes by the board. And then they tax us some more for the privilege.

Thanks for the quote Davies, I've copied it to my notebook for use in other situations!
Wednesday 15 November 2006 1.01pm
It really is just another revenue raiser.
It's perfectly fine to say "Well don't break the speed limit and you won't get fined" but the thing is that everywhere else the limit is 30mph and what is going to happen is that people, including myself, are simply going to forget from time to time that for some reason our small part of London is different and then we are going to get slammed.

I can't even afford public transport. 5 a day for a 2 zone travel card (and WHY is Bermondsey tube station in zone 2 anyway?) or 7.50 if you have to travel before 9.30am. Or you can take a bus if you have at least two hours to get to work and don't mind being threatened and mugged from time to time or involved in a crash as they are so dangerously driven. last night in Vauxhall a bus driver came up the bus lane went straight through a set of red lights without even slowing and swerved across two lanes of traffic in front of us to go into the depot. Unbelievable.

I'm so tired of being taxed and fined every way I turn I just want to get out of this miserable country alltogether. What are the job prospects in Spain like anybody?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions