London SE1 community website

Artesian building on Spa Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Tuesday 15 May 2007 11.00am
It is still www.bermondseyspa.co.uk
Tuesday 15 May 2007 2.24pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
A condemnatory classist observation related to such working class pursuits as laundry which can be contrasted with approval of rule breaking for lower middle class pursuits such as barbecues.

i wasn't condemning...
Tuesday 15 May 2007 5.51pm
Juanita -

That' true, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of knock-on effect with all these new people moving into the area. I realise that The Blue has to serve the entire population (not just local restaurant go-ers!), but I think it's a shame it's so scruffy and under used. I used to make the effort to go down there as there was a DVD rental place (Apollo), but that has now shut-up shop and lies empty as far as I'm aware.

Chris
Wednesday 16 May 2007 9.49pm
Quote:
it's funny how some things seem to be acceptable to "the other side".. mind you if that's the environment that you were brought up in then maybe it's just that you don't know any different..

If not condemning of 'the other side' 'environment... brought up in' ... then what?

But equally you appear to believe that if the rules on barbecues will not be rigidly enforced, it will be acceptable for YOU to have one, despite its impact on your neighbours. To my mind you represent all that is disgraceful about the egocentric attitudes that are endemic in 'Blair's Britain'.
Monday 21 May 2007 3.55pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
Quote:
it's funny how some things seem to be acceptable to "the other side".. mind you if that's the environment that you were brought up in then maybe it's just that you don't know any different..

If not condemning of 'the other side' 'environment... brought up in' ... then what?

But equally you appear to believe that if the rules on barbecues will not be rigidly enforced, it will be acceptable for YOU to have one, despite its impact on your neighbours. To my mind you represent all that is disgraceful about the egocentric attitudes that are endemic in 'Blair's Britain'.

the "other side" being the other side of the building - quite straightforward really..

and we can go into a whole debate about nature/nurture if you want - if we are to go down that route, i do believe that people are a product of both.. and yes, your environment plays a part of that..

i made no reference to either hanging clothes out being "working class" or "bad" nor bbq-ing being middle class and therefore acceptable.. i think actually that was you..

as for the comment about whether the "no bbq" rule being enforced or not, and how it would be nice to have a bbq in the park, wow, didn't realise i would be shot down for wondering wistfully if it was possible to have a bbq!

you may think me disgraceful and egocentric based on the few posts that i've made - i however, don't pretend to know you at all to be able to call you any names..
ADT
Monday 21 May 2007 5.19pm
sweeties wrote:
the "other side" being the other side of the building - quite straightforward really..

Ah of course, I had wondered why you put "the other side" in quotes...

It is a little disingenuous to claim you meant something which is clearly different to your intention in your original post, simply because you don't like the way your attitude appeared to others.
Monday 21 May 2007 7.03pm
"the other side" of the building is quite literal - the building has two parts to it, one being sold as open market homes, and the "other side" being homes for "shared ownership", "intermediate rent" and "social rent".. that is a fact, no?

i didn't put inverted commas around these to be derogatory..

you can interpret my original post as you will.. but i did not intend my post to be taken as a slur on anyone.. nor was i intending to be classist..
Monday 21 May 2007 7.09pm
Quote:
i wonder if the no bbq rule in the park will actually be enforced?! it might be quite nice to have a bit of a bbq in the evening over summer!

Wistful? That looks to me to be a statement of intent to push the boundaries as far as you can.

Working class but have bought = allowed to break rules and have barbecue.

Poor = not allowed to break rules by hanging out washing. Despite being too poor to afford tumble driers and extra electricity. Oh yes, and the washing will smell on account of the barbecues that the wealthier working classes are having - albeit against the rules. At least there won't be any surplus capital letters to make a mess of the washing in addition to the soot!
Friday 25 May 2007 10.42am
ohhh.. so your real problem is that i can afford to and have bought my own place?! and that makes me one of those "working class but have bought"?!?!?!

being able to afford to buy a place and not being able to afford to buy is not a class issue, it's a money issue.

your whole fixation on the "working class" suggest to me that you are far more classist than i am.
Monday 28 May 2007 8.19am
Has anyone experienced problems with water infiltration around window frames after the strong rain downfalls of this bank holiday weekend?

Anyone in block D, who has a flat D3, at the corner?...the living room window seems most affected...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions