London SE1 community website

New Urban Park for Bankside/E&C

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 17 November 2006 8.26pm
I agree with Jackie and kmitchell.

It's a shame the opaque regeneration speak has got in the way, and maybe little will emerge, though I reckon they should be able to do some of this pretty quickly.

I reckon the thinking is spot on. Small scale developments, pocket parks, planting trees... these things can make a difference. The joining up and the planning are also welcome. Recently, new urban green spaces have tended to be created at the centre of traffic roundabouts, or by way of dismal planters in shopping centres.

And I strongly disagree with JaneS - the small-scale, mosaic idea is completely consistent with what's best about this part of SE1.

There's a consultation on (according to the better bankside website), so we can pinpoint where in the triangle between Borough High St and Blackfriars Road we think a bit of investment could improve the public "realm". Which I think means public space. If we care about how SE1 is developed, we should take part rather than rubbishing it... shouldn't we?
Friday 17 November 2006 9.23pm
From my mental dictionary:

"Consultation (CON'in'sulTAtion)

A misnomer indicating a willingness to listen to views, and then not doing so.

For further information see section on Ken Livingstone."

Still cynical, I'm afraid.

Loafer
Friday 17 November 2006 10.48pm
I'm sure many of us are (justifiably) sceptical about regeneration-speak and developers/planners who pay lip service to consultation, but I'm a little surprised at the haste with which some people have dismissed an initiative to make streets greener and more pleasant for everyone - especially at such an early stage when there are no firm proposals to comment on.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 18 November 2006 9.15am
I think that is my point. There are no firm proposals to comment on, so what is the point of the Press Release.

There is absolutely no substance to proposals such as these until they have funding and a chance of delivery. We have all seen them come and go, and frankly, I'm pretty fed up of publicly funded organisations promising marvellous change and delivering sweet fanny adams. It's a waste of time and money.

Until they have something solid for which they are seeking funding, it is simply ranking alongside free clean energy, an end to war and medicines to cure all ills as something which would be great, but unlikely to happen.

They should get their heads down, work at it, and keep quiet, and be judged on results, not spin.

Loafer
Saturday 18 November 2006 9.47am
As James points out, this project is embryonic at the moment, but I still think it's a smashing plan and the more that people voice enthusiasm rather than scepticism, the more likely it is to happen. Things do seem to move at snail's pace it's true. Being so close to the Elephant project, I am all to aware of it. For example, the filling in of the underpasses at the Elephant was supposed to start this past summer. But TFL, who will need to do some re-routing and re-marking, didnt get their act together, so it's now scheduled for spring. (which can mean, as we all know, either February or May depending on your optimism). A lot of you will not have been to Wansey St. (off the Walworth Road) where the first lot of houses for the Heygate Residents is finished - remember a lot of new housing has to be built before you destroy the old housing , just as at least SOME of the new shopping facilities have to be built before you demolish the E&C shopping centre. Is IS happening, but one wants to see something really spectacular. Large bulldozed areas and masses of cranes. It IS happening I promise you. This week I was at several meetings and without trying to be maddening I promise my Elephant Friends website is going to be up and running and I will be posting here with links which I hope James will be using liberally.
Saturday 18 November 2006 12.54pm
Jackie,

I'm actually very positive about the E&C redevelopment, and indeed met one of the developers active in the area last week which was very interesting.

What I think will make the E&C redevelopment work is the increasing momentum from developers around the periphery of the main site. It means that no matter what, in 5 years, it will all look very different.

Forgive my cynisim (sp) on the linear park issue, I hope I'm wrong!

Regards,

Loafer
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions