London SE1 community website

Is there one decent bike shop in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Monday 27 November 2006 8.39pm
The shop in Hatfields has been my favourite for a long time - excellent service.

Evans are happy to sell bikes but after that they lose interest eg their repairs/servicing waiting list is weeks long - I would have thought there was money to be made, but as they never have enough staff to bring down the waiting time, Evans obviously don't bother.

As an aside, I popped into the bike shop on Jamaica Road and the guy there did three puncture repairs in quick succession and got good tips (30%) from all three unconnected punters.
Monday 27 November 2006 9.24pm
I went to the place off the cut for repairs and they were very good... I have also found OYB efficient for repairs, but expensive to buy bikes.
Wednesday 29 November 2006 2.07pm
On your bike always been good to me...
Wednesday 29 November 2006 7.06pm
Try Cycle Surgery over looking Spitalfields market...not SE1, but not far off and very good reputation.
Monday 4 December 2006 4.15pm
The London Bicycle Repair shop on Hatfields and also the hire at Gabriels Wharf are excellent. I bought my bike there a few weeks ago to replace a stolen one and they were really helpful and provided me with tons of advice. I had a small problem with the gears a few days after getting the bike and it was fixed within minutes! They're well worth visiting.
Monday 4 December 2006 7.03pm
OYB are good for sales, including ordering out-of-stock models and pre-delivery checks, but I have not enjoyed great after-sales service from them.

Condor have always been excellent for service and support, always take the time to talk you through things. Try and go at off-peak times, though, as the corollary of the individual service ethic is that you'll have quite a wait if there are more than one or two other people ahead of you.
Tuesday 5 December 2006 4.05pm
Had another repair done at the London Bicycle Repair Shop today - they did it straight away and only cost a fiver.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 6 December 2006 3.56pm
I have also been recommended the London Bicycle Repair shop by a colleague who cycles. Says they're cheap and very efficient.

I need a bike. I've recently moved to SE5 and am sure I could cycle to work in SE1 in about the same amount of time as it currently takes me to wait for the 343 bus!
Thursday 7 December 2006 8.05am
Sorry Jackie,
My experience of the recycling bike shop at the back of the E&C was very different. I don't agree although it may be that they just treat women appallingly. I asked for two spokes to be replaced in the wheel of my last bike - the guy quoted me 35 and then tried to tell me it was not worth doing the job. He then tried to push me into buying a rubbish old bike in a much worse state than mine. Mine was a six month old folder and the only problem was that I had hit a pot-hole.The one he tried to flog me was a clapped out old rusty folder at least twenty years old. When I demurred he then got threatening. I was alone in the shop at the time and though not easily cowed it was an intimidating experience. In fact I wrote and complained about it to the London Cycling Campaign. This was about 18 months ago and it may be that there have been staff changes since then and I would not want to do down anyone unfairly. Definitely a case however, of "Buyer beware".
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions