London SE1 community website

Is there one decent bike shop in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Monday 11 December 2006 6.47pm
There is definitely one that I alwats go to, even though I'm now in Clapham.

Bob's Cycles off the Walworth Road is worth a visit. He is honest, reliable and will do repairs for you really quickly.

BOB'S CYCLES
9, JOHN RUSKIN STREET,
SE5 0PQ

Mob: 07961 102072

He has a selection of 2nd hand bikes... probably not the best if your after something fancy but he'll give you sound advice.

A lot more personal than Evans or Edwardes, so give it a try. One of Camberwell's gems if you ask me, along with The Crypt, and The Hermits Cave!

call him, ask him, see what he has to say...
TAK
Wednesday 13 December 2006 1.55pm
Almost a year ago I bought a bycicle at Recycle on Elephant Road and am very happy what I got for what I paid - just under 100. It looks battered (only cosmetic) but I think it is the best quality bike I probably ever had. Apparently, the frame was from a police auction and the rest was a bit of a mix and match to make it complete.
Tuesday 11 September 2007 7.27pm
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good bike shops in or near SE1 selling second hand Dutch style bikes....?
TAK
Tuesday 11 September 2007 10.53pm
Just wanted to follow up on my original reccomendation for Recycle at Elephant Road.

I still think one can be lucky and get a good bike for a good price there.

The repair service however seems to be another matter!
In spring, I had my bycicle serviced and had to show up about three times untill it was eventually started and finished. They just kept sending me back saying I shall return in two hours.....I wasn't happy!

Last Friday I went there to have the gear switch cable replaced:
Arriving five minutes past opening times, they first wouldn't want to take my bike as it would come into the way opening up the shop - I should come back later. After making clear this was not an option my bicycle was accepted. I could return anytime in the afternoon to pick it up. At 6.15pm I got a phonecall saying my bicycle had not been repaired, I can pick it up tomorrow morning first thing. On Saturday at 4pm it's still not done.....after waiting there for ten minutes the cable was replaced while I waited....

It's a shame, but I think I shall try a different place for the next repair - if only to find out whether all places are like this!
Jac
Wednesday 12 September 2007 9.24am
The Jacs find the bicycle shop on Newington Causeway (opposite the courts) very good and very reasonable for servicing bikes. Efficient friendly and usually come in under estimate. We have also been very happy with the secondhand bike we purchased for one on the mini jacs(actually not so mini it was a full size bike)
Wednesday 12 September 2007 4.01pm
Theres a bike shop on The Cut and one opposite Waterloo Station as well - havent used them but they look pretty professional.
Friday 14 September 2007 8.55pm
just had another repair and service done at the Bicycle Repair Shop on Hatfields - those boys are fab.

I pointed out some damage to my (don't laugh at my spelling) derailleur and gear changer thingy (result of a few too many vinos at a book club I think) plus the need for a couple of replacement spokes, and a slow puncture and .... well actually there was about 6 different things.

They fixed the lot for a very reasonable fee, plus a full service (appears to have been included in the price), had it ready for me to collect on time, and were really friendly to boot. It's all very down to earth and reliable in there - just like my dear ol' gran told me customer service was supposed to be.
Saturday 22 September 2007 5.36am
JaneS: I don't know of any but thought that was a good question. You do see them around but I don't know where they can be bought over here.

Just seen this article, linked to from another Times article. At the bottom is a link to Cycle Heaven, the importer.

Not SE1 - mail order maybe - and not second hand..... but might be worth asking?

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article2490124.ece
Saturday 22 September 2007 9.07am
Thanks for the reply Al W - I have actually ended up buying a lovely (new) bicycle from Bobbin Bicycles who are based in Clerkenwell (www.bobbinbicycles.com) - I'd really recommend them. It was, as I say, not second hand , but their prices are very reasonable and it didn't cost much more than a second hand Dutch bike made by one of the big brands. The bike is great, I love it. The people who run the shop were so helpful and enthusiastic so if anyone else is after something similar I would recommend checking the shop out.

That article was interesting, though! You do see quite alot of Dutch bikes around. And they aren't that bad up any of the hills SE1 could throw at you :)
Saturday 22 September 2007 9.37am
Like the bikes... good prices too, as you say. Hope you enjoy it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions