London SE1 community website

Is there one decent bike shop in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Zoe
Wednesday 7 March 2012 9.35pm
Hi Thor,

I think you guys are great, and I've been in quite a few times. I was just very close to home and it was rather cold tonight, so I went to the closest place!
Wednesday 21 March 2012 4.02pm
I'll add my recommendation for VeloDro. I just collected my Brompton from there after a service and chain replacement. Lovely people, good work, great price.
BTW my reference points are:
The London Bicycle Repair Shop, Hatfields - I've always been happy with their service.
On Your Bike - had one service done there, no complaints.
Druid Cycles - nice people, deserving of support, good work, good prices.
Thursday 22 March 2012 10.27am
Not sure about Druid Cycles being the cheapest. I had my forks I changed (just the labour) on my bike there last year and they charged 80. I had them changed again at South Bank Cycles in January, exactly the same job, and they charged me 35. I like trying new bike shops out so when I had a broken spoke I went to Velodro. 10 bloke said. Sent text saying innertube valve was damaged so agreed to change. When turned up new price was 21!! I said 11 for an inner tube is a bit much but he said there was also a 6 charge for truing the wheel. I just wish these places were up front with their prices instead of making them up.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 5.31pm
I have a really cheap Halford's mountain bike that I sometimes use to cycle across town. The gears aren't working any more and I want to get it fixed. Nothing flash, I just want it to work again without spending too much money and by someone who doesn't look down on a cheap bike. VeloDro and Druid Cycles are quite nearby, any preferences/suggestions/recommendations?
Zoe
Tuesday 14 August 2012 5.55pm
I would probably get a quote from both, as each have their strengths as bike shops. There is also squeaky chains near me, which is ex rough sleepers learning a new skill. They are always lovely when I go in and really love bikes (bit chaotic though).
Wednesday 15 August 2012 9.27am
@EdwardWoodward - I've had good experiences with Balfe's bikes in Kennington, both indexing the gears on the other half's mountain bike, and a full service for my bike, with a subsequent tune-up for the brakes after the new brake cables stretched. Probably worth giving them a call to get a quote. When you say the gears aren't working, it could be that they need to be indexed/adjusted, or the chain needs to be replaced, but it's possible that the rear cassette needs to be replaced, which can be a bit costly. So give them a call and get a quote so you don't get any nasty surprises!
Wednesday 15 August 2012 9.39am
A vote for VeloDro. I only wanted a new bike pump, but the lady in the shop was friendly and very helpful. I particularly like the fact they are an independent business. Worthy of support.

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Wednesday 15 August 2012 10.39am
babybat wrote:
@EdwardWoodward - I've had good experiences with Balfe's bikes in Kennington, both indexing the gears on the other half's mountain bike, and a full service for my bike, with a subsequent tune-up for the brakes after the new brake cables stretched. Probably worth giving them a call to get a quote. When you say the gears aren't working, it could be that they need to be indexed/adjusted, or the chain needs to be replaced, but it's possible that the rear cassette needs to be replaced, which can be a bit costly. So give them a call and get a quote so you don't get any nasty surprises!

I've used Balfe's. They replaced my chain, rear casette, cables and bar tape for somewhere around 80-90 I think.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.12pm
I have been very happy with both Velodro and Hatfield - great independents. I have been really p*ssed of with being taken for a ride at that place on tooley street. Evans on the cut have also been massively appalling for reasons I have probably vented elsewhere on this site.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 1.18pm
I'll try VeloDro. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I only went to Evans once and when they saw my bike out on the street the level of helpfullness and politeness dropped quite a few notches. I don't do fancy clothes / fancy cars etc much and don't care what people think, but they actually did make me feel scruffy!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions