London SE1 community website

Horse riding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 11 June 2003 11.43am
From a GLA planning document -

Stableyard site

7 This site represents 0.35ha of land used by the Southwark Equestrian Association for the Disabled. Approximately half of the site is a hardsufaced area used for parking and storage by the stables and including a small single storey building used for the storage of furniture, clothing and toys in association with the Mayor of Southwark's Common Good Trust. The other half of the site is a paddock used for exercising horses on a day to day basis. The Mayor was not aware of this level of use by the stables when he previously advised Southwark Council that he was minded to withdraw his direction.

8 The stables have occupied this land for eighteen years on the basis of a one month notice period with the agreement of Ideal Homes. The land has very recently been transferred from Ideal Homes to Southwark Council as part of a 1988 s106 agreement. The stables had been in ongoing negotiations with the Council to try and formalise their use of the land, although it is understood that Southwark Council withdrew from these negotiations at the end of last year.

9 It has become apparent that the stables can not function without a significant portion of the piece of land that Southwark are offering to develop as public open space. The stables need to retain an area for storage and parking and require a segregated area for the horses to exercise. It would be unfortunate if the stables suffered as a consequence of turning the whole of the site into open space. Therefore, providing public access to the site, while taking into account the stables requirements, and creating an attractive environment for both the stables and public to enjoy is considered more appropriate that transforming the whole of the land into parkland.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 June 2003 9.01am
Hey Jojo - if I may be so familiar, there are horses in SE11, at the Vauxahll City Farm and they do riding lessons. You don't need to be disabled. Its on the opposite side of Spring Gardens from the Vauxhall Tavern.

Lots of other animals there too. Its nice.
Thursday 19 June 2003 2.44pm
Hope it's OK to butt in here! After extensive research I think the best place for nice well trained horses and good facilities in central London is in Lea Bridge Road, Hackney Marshes. Not far by car but not exactly local! Shame really but there is just not enough green space for horses in SE1.
Friday 20 June 2003 1.21pm
Vauxhall Farm is a nice afternoon for children, pigs, ducks,chickens, a welcome break from the harsh concrete of london, my grand daughter loved it. we spent half an hour waiting for the guinea pigs to join the rabbits! then after four hours she still did not want to come home.
Tuesday 24 June 2003 3.47pm
Has anyone ever tried out riding in Hyde Park? I believe its expensive, but good.
Tuesday 24 June 2003 9.41pm
I've heard it's good, but I don't think I'd be comfy turning up in my jeans!
Wednesday 12 May 2004 7.45pm
Hi

The stables up St James Road are a private stable, i know someone who had a horse there, there wasnt anywhere to excercise or graze the horses and they looked really bored, if i had mine there it would be bonkers by now. I think they do weddings or something and they got baby guinea pigs.

Jean

Post edited (12 May 04 20:49)
Wednesday 12 May 2004 8.10pm
Those horses must be have been bored if they had baby guinea pigs.
Wednesday 12 May 2004 9.57pm
Blimey - I'm getting a bit paranoid about all my old threads being resurrected!

Next thing you know, someone will be digging up that old one with the estate agent.......
Jon
Thursday 13 May 2004 11.39am
The stables do exist, and I think I saw a few weeks ago, a couple of horses walking up Albany road, having come from Burgess Park, and I presume that they were headed towards that stables.

it's true, they have (and sell) baby guniea pigs, and also sell horse manure (if you bring your own bucket!).

it's on the corner of rolls road, and St James, just south of the bridgey type bit, just south of the Lynton road junction.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions