London SE1 community website

Lying In Hospital - For Sale

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 2 January 2007 2.59am
Lang Rabbie,

Cynical and Charity Trustees in the same sentence....

Over the past year I have consistently been told that if the current Founders Place proposals were not accepted, the Hospital would sell the site. I understand that is the thinking behind the odd decision to appeal only, and not to reapply with a revised layout.

(I assume Sir Terry cost them a fortune, though a redesign that was a bit higher to the north, allowed for trees and did not appear to assume park views, would probably be accepted by all with a large sigh of relief. This is what Councillors were hoping for when the Trustees asked for a meeting shortly after the last Local Elections, but I understand the options given were to allow the existing proposals to be resubmitted or to go to appeal.)

So a logical explanation would be that they are short of cash. And having to sell something.

The dates for the Founders Place enquiry still have to be fixed. And presumably they may hope that Ruth Kelly will be willing to overturn any decision by the Planning Inspector to uphold the Lambeth decision. So they will dont know when there will be a decision there.

If I am right, it would be interesting to know what caused the Trustees to pay loads of money for a protected building (The Holy Trinity Centre) in the hope they could get permission to demolish. In anyone's book, and however a good cause the hospital or the Charity is, they were engaging in pure property speculation. And the problem with speculation is that sometimes the gamble does not pay off.

It is a real pity that they are letting go of the Lying In Hospital. Though I am fond of the Buddhists who do not get involved in political things like objecting to planning proposals, yet claim to have "their ways". I might start believing in devine intervention if the whole saga ends with the Hospital selling the Holy Trinity Centre back to the lady who bought it for the Buddhist community, at presumably less than she sold it for.

I am told that the Charity is actually for the benefit of the people of Lambeth and Southwark, not just for the Hospital, and as such funds stuff for local GPs and other Primary Health activity. Does anyone know more? I understand that it has received substancial endowments over the years. So interesting if it is now strapped for cash.

Sarah
Monday 8 January 2007 11.36am
I saw over the weekend that the for sale sign has been removed!
Tuesday 9 January 2007 1.12pm
Mlis wrote:
I saw over the weekend that the for sale sign has been removed!

The deadline for submission of bids was "12:00 noon on Tuesday 19th December 2006" so I assume the charity are now in negotiations with whoever made the best tender offer.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 1.22pm
FWIW it's the NHS Foundation Trust rather than the Charity that's selling the building.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 9.04pm
James Hatts wrote:
FWIW it's the NHS Foundation Trust rather than the Charity that's selling the building.

Oops... my error. For the avoidance of doubt my poor information, which led to my unwarranted cynicism, came from an NHS source some years ago, not from a poster on this forum.
Monday 15 January 2007 7.18am
They are different organisations, but my experience is that the hospital "family" do pull together when required. As do friends within the community.

I may be wrong and happy to be corrected, but I hear that the decision to invite bids for this property was taken in advance of an in-depth discussion by the Hospital Trust. Instead this will happen now bids are in.

If this is true it may be an interesting meeting. A number of people worked very hard in advance of the Frogmore (if anyone remembers the discoloured and semi-permanent "Frogmore regenerating Lambeth" sign on the GLC island site) proposals to ensure, if I remember correctly, that the hospital were able to both retain ambulance access and have freeholder permission to refurbish the building. They will be very disappointed.

The loss of the nurses home to the rear is particularly surprising. Many of the same people are supporting the current Founders Place development because they feel that the 15 extra key-worker flats and the rebuilding of the current out-dated stock, are worth the real cost to the community and conservation area. An odd time to risk eroding that support.

What is the problem? Is it that decision making in the NHS and other public sector bodies is so dominated by the need to achieve short-term targets that the idea of long term continuity and sustainability has been lost?
Wednesday 17 January 2007 12.15pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2525

Sunday 22 April 2007 1.10am
Hello all,

I am not from London. I am not even from England. Nonetheless, I feel sad to see much of the "modernization" and development that goes on here.

In my humble opinion, the Aparthotel's design is appallingly bad. I love modern design, but this one seems to have thrown together several bad ideas from the period in an unholy matrimony. The worst of the mid-century all in one facade. It's ugly! Would it kill us dead to have a green space there instead?

I know that there is a shortage of property in the area, but there is no shortage of greed. It's not as if the locals will be able to afford to live there. This monstrosity is designed for investors to make as much money as possible by leasing the apartments to rich executives passing through the area hoping to impress clients and business associates with a view of the Houses of Parliment, while the rest of us deal with bedrooms the size of coffins.

I wonder that there isn't a limit to the number of investment properties that an individual or corporation can own. It seems that properties are snatched up at an alarming rate only to be let. That means that anyone wanting to buy a home to LIVE IN, has to compete with investors in an ever rising price war. Sure, it's cheaper to buy a flat "off-plan" but usually that means that you must have a large chunk of cash in hand before proceeding. Who has that kind of money? Investors.

Whew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Anyway, I love the Lying-In Hospital. I hope that it will survive. Ronald McDonald Place would be good, or the like. If not, how about a non-profit center for artists and filmmakers who have no space or resources to begin or continue working.
Sunday 22 April 2007 9.53am
Ahhh, Karen Edwards, what planet are you from? Limit the number of commercial developments? Pigs will fly sooner. Look through some of the threads here and you will see how these very very rich and very very greedy and very very powerful developers make mincemeat of all of us. No amount of letters, petitions, protests, logic,....nothing helps. They all laugh and bang up another tower.
Thursday 10 April 2008 12.59pm
It's going to be a Premier Inn:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3235

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions