London SE1 community website

Vietnamese food at The William

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 26 February 2007 10.14pm
Thanks all for giving me the locations - can't wait to visit both soon.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 9.11am
myco wrote:
We use the free delivery service and the food is always great. We always go for the Pho (noodle soup) with herbs for mains and fresh rolls with chilli & garlic sauce for starters. Being Vietnamese ourselves, i rate this place for food- although not the best settings- the food is well flavoured and ingredients are most often fresh.
Presumably the delivery service doesn't have far to travel to reach you, myco, given that you are the proprietor(?)/manager(?)/landlord(?) or similar?

What a shame that you have chosen to mislead people. If you'd responded to the original message, been upfront about your affiliation to the William and Pacific Kitchen, and explained a bit about the food and services you offer, everyone would have been happy.

Thank you to the forum user who reported this thread and shared their suspicions with me. A quick check back through old emails revealed that myco had previously been in touch with me to get The William and Pacific Kitchen listed on this site.

Proprietors and managers of local businesses are very welcome to participate in this forum, providing they do so honestly. Is that really so much to ask?!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 6.12pm
Hi James

Thanks for your message, although your principle is valid, however I'm not the proprietor/ owner/ manager of Pacific Kitchen at all!

I do know the owners on a personal level and offered to help them promote themselves online- as the lady who does own it has no access to the Internet, etc...

I want to see a good honest place do well.

But sorry, I'm NOT the owner/ manager of Pacific Kitchen.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 6.28pm
myco

You're splitting hairs, and I must assume you know it. James' point is that you have a conncetion with the place and you should have told people about that.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 6.28pm
OK, fair enough. But I still think someone who is closely enough connected to a restaurant to send out emails on its behalf in the first person containing phrases like "We have a cosy little gastro pub", "We'd be delighted to have you down to try out some of the Vietnamese dishes" and "our address is" ought to be upfront about the fact that they are not just an independent satisfied customer.

If you'd said "I'm a friend of the owners and I help them with PR and marketing" that would be fine. Everyone knows where they stand and no-one is misled.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 2 March 2007 11.00pm
We ordered delivery from the Pacific Kitchen tonight, and it was rather disappointing. We ordered at 6.45 and we didn't receive our food until 9pm! We called several times to ask where our food was, and we were repeatedly told that the order was "on the way" and the delivery driver was "right outside". When the food did arrive, the mixd hors d'ouevre was missing the advertised fishcakes, but the prawn, pork and spring roll appetisers were quite nice. The lemongrass beef with rice noodles and the chicken with lemongrass and peanuts were both tasty, but being cooked two hours previously to delivery, they were dry and cold by the time they arrived. While the food was good, I don't think there's any excuse for the slow delivery, given that we're only 5 minutes from the restaurant! The shoddy way we were treated when we called to ask where our food was has definately put me off ordering from the Pacific Kitchen again, unless I'm prepared to collect it myself!
Sunday 14 June 2009 11.05am
I have to ask - is the place still open? I've tried to contact and book the place for a meal but no response - and it always looks shut.
Sunday 14 June 2009 8.49pm
they are open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and weekends, from 5.30pm... They close Tuesdays and Thursdays... that might be why you haven't had much luck? m
Monday 15 June 2009 8.09pm
Went on Friday night, 8.00pm booking. When we turned up we were the only people there, the TV in the bar was blaring Euro Pop, and the waitress asked if we also wanted the big TV on. Not good, but what really prompted our departure was that the whole place smelt of urinals. Can't comment on the food, as we left and went and ate a brilliant meal at Simply Indian, but the ambiance was non-existent.
Monday 28 September 2009 9.49am
We went Sat night, and as with the last poster we were the only punters there, except for the Europop TV and a very nice waiter. No smell of urinals.

In any case, the food is very very good indeed, possibly better than anything we've had on Kingsland Road (where we go almost weekly for our Vietnamese) = Beef Pho was excellent, using real stock and very fresh ingredients - claypot pork was very succulent and well spiced. Plus they serve morning glory - always nice.

This place is well worth trying if you haven't done so already - the atmosphere isn;t great, but surely it needs residents to assist on that front?

(No affiliations with the owners etc )
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions