London SE1 community website

London City Hotel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 9 January 2007 11.22am
The Tower Hotel sometimes does good offers, especially over the weekends. Granted, it's not the prettiest from the outside, and I am not sure when they last did the inside up but the views can be pretty stunning. I stayed there years agao and although outdated the service was good.

Mind you it can be very expensive during the week.
Wednesday 10 January 2007 2.25pm
James Hatts wrote:
You can find details of all visitor accommodation in the SE1 are in the hotels section of this website:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/hotels/
At this page I found a hotel called the Wellington (seems like a pub with rooms).
As I wrote earlier, we need to stay in the Southwark area for ten days, and are considering the London City Hotel, as they have offered us a rate of 60 pr. night (excl. breakfast).
We have e-mailed a couple of other hotels for an offer as we're staying for relatively long period, and so far the best offer has been made by The Wellington Hotel, 64 including breakfast.

Any experiences with or information about this hotel is much appreciated!

http://www.thewellington-waterloo.co.uk/
Wednesday 10 January 2007 2.36pm
it look's better that the first one blusi....and is wonderfully central too....
Wednesday 10 January 2007 3.09pm
The Wellington is almost literally underneath the main Waterloo to Waterloo East railway arch.

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the London City Hotel.

Bear in mind, however, that (after Norway!) London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, but you still get what you pay for...

Have a great time, no matter where you end up sleeping.

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 10 January 2007 3.53pm
Hi Blusi,you could try the Premier Travel Inn on Tower Bridge Road,they sometimes have special rates.I know someone who has stayed at the London City since the refurb and he says it is fine but not luxurious-it was basic but clean and convenient.You could also try logging onto wotif.com,it is an Australian site but you can book from anywhere in the world and we have managed to find some very good deals on the site.Hope you have a great time.
Wednesday 10 January 2007 3.55pm
The Wellington is VERY well provided with transport links though.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a decent deal at the Travel Inn County Hall, which would put you only steps away from Waterloo and right on the Thames.

For real cheap stays, maybe try youth hostels (and spend the cash you save on some lovely London treats). I think you can get family rooms, and there are a few in/around London although not in SE1

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 11 January 2007 7.28am
loafer wrote:
The Wellington is almost literally underneath the main Waterloo to Waterloo East railway arch.
If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the London City Hotel.

Bear in mind, however, that (after Norway!) London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, but you still get what you pay for...

Have a great time, no matter where you end up sleeping.

Regards,

Loafer
Yes, after doing a bit more research, I also concluded that the Wellington would be a bit noisy.
Regarding hotel prices in Norway/London; yes, you get what you pay for, but even as expensive as Norway is you would get a very nice hotel room for 80-90, which I understand is considered "budget" in London. I sometimes get a bit scared reading London hotel prices. ;)

Thank you, I'm sure we will have a great time!
Thursday 11 January 2007 7.30am
coogie wrote:
I know someone who has stayed at the London City since the refurb and he says it is fine but not luxurious-it was basic but clean and convenient.
Thank you, that was exactly what we are looking for! No need for luxury, as we won't spend much time in the room, just need a clean bed to sleep in.
Thursday 11 January 2007 7.33am
Ivanhoe wrote:
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a decent deal at the Travel Inn County Hall, which would put you only steps away from Waterloo and right on the Thames.
For real cheap stays, maybe try youth hostels (and spend the cash you save on some lovely London treats). I think you can get family rooms, and there are a few in/around London although not in SE1
We tried e-mailing the Travel Inn you mentioned, but didn't get an answer. Though we are a bit cheap when it comes to spending money on hotels, I don't think youth hostels are quite our "thing". But you are right, we do try to spend as little as possible on hotels, so that we can splurge a bit when it comes to food and activities.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions