London SE1 community website

Hara the Circle Bar - What happened?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 17 March 2007 1.51pm
My concern wasn't about the takeaway--I recognise that this is a different market--but about the restaurant.

Again, I noticed a change in the quality of the meats and sauces. It appeared to me that the restaurant had switched to a different supplier, and was probably no longer preparing fresh sauces. I ran into something there more common in cheap takeaways: two dishes with different names with exactly the same sauce.

So my question for the Hara management is: what are you prepared to do, now that you are aware of the quality problems. Are you prepared to switch to a better meat supplier? Can you guarantee that there will be no overlap between the preparation of your cheap delivery service and the main restaurant, meaning no prepared sauces and foods in the restaurant, and fresh ingredients made to order?
Wednesday 10 October 2007 10.07pm
Just eaten a fantastic take away from Hara and it is good value too - not sure if I would eat there as empty and playing Indian music one would expect in a normal after pub ruby place full of drunks...

The place needs some atmosphere, but loved the food thx!
Saturday 1 March 2008 4.28pm
i think the Hara restaurant was the kind of restaurant Shad Thames needed...casual, relaxed smart...

however as time went by..standards began to drop..not sure why? change of chef? could be anything...ur guess is as good as mine!

i have actually stopped using Hara and now use Tower Tandoori on TBR a little further down from the bridge. theyre a bit different...its family run (father and 2 sons)...ive met the chefs, theyre from all over the place...india, bangladesh and nepal. service and food are always of a high quality, ive never been disappointed. it also has this charm and ambience which is not evident in shad thames! also ive been invited to their 30th anniversary gala dinner!!
Wednesday 2 April 2008 2.09pm
Has Hara closed completely now or is it just being refurbished?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 3 April 2008 9.13am
Welll it looks pretty closed - as a resident who lives practically above it I have never been in because to me it seems ot lack any scintilla of atmosphere - though from posts appears food is excellent. I hope it is a decent "refresh" so can visit soon. I very much hope this is not the first local SE1 restaurant victim of the credit crunch as this is a decent unit that deserves a good tenant!
Thursday 3 April 2008 10.24am
Agree with the reviewers who liked the food; IMO this is the best Indian this side of the river, by a mile, and better than many of the Michelin-starred places. If it has closed down, I think the problem was with the office-like interior and the location on the corner of a quiet street a three blocks south of the river. Although a good effort, the refitting of the old "The Circle Bar" to create "Hara The Circle Bar" back in 2004 (I think) never went far enough. To be fair to the owners, the Piers Gough designed space is loking pretty dated on the inside and must be very difficult to turn into a stylish and welcoming restaurant space. But I think it can be done, with a bit of imagination. Hope this is just a refurb!
Thursday 10 April 2008 7.12pm
Newsflash: it is going ot reopen but under another name. Posters up in the windows - reopening as another "posh" Indian restaurant. Hopefully a warmer interior and some atmosphere this time to go with excellent food!
Thursday 10 April 2008 8.21pm
It's going to be called [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovage]Lovage[/url]

They have a website

The heavy white paper at the windows prevented anymore noseiness on my part.
Saturday 19 April 2008 4.53pm
Dear All,

The new owners have been operating the restaurant since September of last year. They have seen first hand how petty the local resisdents are and I would urge everyone in the area to support the new owners.

I'm happy to have left and the feeling is mutual between me and some of the local residents. After being threatened by the local residents that they would close me down, they didn't manage it. Despite their scaremongering I kept on going and telling myself, 'Illegitimis nil caborundum'.

http://southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_27115.pdf

Follow the link and see for yourself what ridiculous conditions have been placed on the license when you openly write, 'there are only 3 people in the place at any time'. Granted I had some well attended parties but they were not everyday; a quiet neighbourhood is good for flat prices and easier for landlords to let.

Jobs in the city started drying up in the middle of last year and in my opinion that would have been the reason why Hara would have closed down.

I wish the new owners the best of luck and ask you as a local resident to support their business.
Saturday 19 July 2008 6.37pm
There is now a sign up to say that Lovage will open on 24 July.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions