London SE1 community website

Magdalen restaurant on Tooley Street - sounds good!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Tuesday 30 January 2007 11.18am
Let's just hope Henrythev isn't a nurse or a doctor....what a wonderful combination of bedside manner and hygiene that would be.
Tuesday 30 January 2007 1.11pm
Hospital staff cavalier about hygiene? We are not amazed.
Tuesday 30 January 2007 7.06pm
JaneS wrote:
I'm not sure if the people at the next table knew that we could hear every word of their arguments!

Mrs Paul occasionally fails to see the funny side of our relationship - apologies for the inadvertent entertainment.
Tuesday 30 January 2007 7.10pm
As we all expected you didn't read the answer, or understand it, and responded exactly as predicted. Anyway not to worry I am sure Chicken Sizzler is really hclean and employ only the highest standards of hygiene so you won't be poisoned there - will you?
Tuesday 30 January 2007 7.26pm
Welcome to the forum, henrythev.

Perhaps I'm getting cynical, but for a newly registered user (who has nothing to do with the establishment under discussion, I trust) your posts seem to have a lot of 'attitude'.

Jonathan K's original point didn't seem too unreasonable to me. Certainly not unreasonable enough to warrant your response.

Feel free to disagree with what he said, but I am puzzled by the apparent venom in your response

Can we stick to the topic and avoid personal remarks, please?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 30 January 2007 7.57pm
Wow ! Venom ? Didn't expect this response to a little more exact observation with a little bit of humour and my first comment still stands. Those people who don't wash their hands are liable to place them in all kinds of places that others will touch, a Japanese doctor friend of mine is amazed that westerners walk into each others houses and all over their carpets and floors with outside shoes on. Dog excrement is all over our pavements, whether you see it or not, and is transmitted into our homes on our shoes, so the bacteria from all kinds of unhealthy stuff surrounds us. The point is that there are degrees of dirty and clean - no absolutes and a dish of salt and pepper is way down on the list of things to worry about. There are more germs for instance on the average dish cloth than the inside of a toilet bowl. Now was that measured and serious enough for everyone?
Tuesday 30 January 2007 8.43pm
henrythev
what are you trying to prove?
who are you trying to impress?
stop showing off and grow up!

Appologies James but I couldn't help myself,
considering the last sentance in the previous post to this!
Tuesday 30 January 2007 9.08pm
I think Henrythev may have some kind of OCD, or something. This sort of obsession with telling the world about all the nasty germs is somewhat peculiar ( <-- understatement!). There is a difference between being paranoid about germs and hygiene (like Henrythev) and having basic concern for the level of food hygiene which is, after all, legally required in restaurants.

I also remember thinking that the dishes of salt and pepper were rather odd - freshly ground pepper is very much nicer than pre-ground stuff which has been sitting around, anyway. True, nothing is germ free, they're everywhere, yadda yadda yadda, but if you can try and maintain basic cleanliness, then why not, especially given that the more hygienic option here is the norm.

What a very strange agenda Henrythev must have, though. And I wonder why he feels the need to keep telling us about all his friends sitting around sharing his opinion? It doesn't make you right, you know, Henrythev.
Tuesday 30 January 2007 10.21pm
Let me jump to henrythev's defence.

Generally, people don't seem to be able to judge the level of risk associated with day to day activities. So, people immediately jump on something with trivial risk, like open pots of salt and pepper, and overstate the risk of food poisoning or whatever, yet ignore the elephant in the room!

Germs are everywhere, on door handles, on the cutlery, on the chairs, tables, carpets, etc... but because we just get on with our lives without thinking about those little darn evil germy-things, we feel safe, secure, warm and cosy... and yet the moment someone sees an open pot of pepper... aaaargh! fetch the health inspectors!
Tuesday 30 January 2007 10.35pm
That's true, of course, but his manner was quite unnecessary. It was the aggressive way in which the admittedly valid but rather minor point was made. 'My friends and I are all laughing at you'... um, ok then. And the Charles Dickens reference? It's normal to look through a window of a new restaurant to see what's what, and 'peer' is a perfectly good way to describe it. Jonathan never said that he was terrified, so that was a bit unnecessary too. It was a very very strange first post.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions