London SE1 community website

Magdalen restaurant on Tooley Street - sounds good!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Jac
Tuesday 30 January 2007 10.39pm
Whats happening to this forum when a thread on a restaurant turns unfriendly. I also thought henrythev 1st post had a point. It is also worth remembering that salt is a food preservative because germs can not multipy in salt and so may actually be safer than say picking up a pot that someone else withd irty hands has handled first. I think there was a point to be made about relative risk that said was it necessary for henrythev to finish with "get a life" and was jonathanK comment re people wiping thier arse and sticking their fingers in his food necessary. I dont think so.
As for Open salt and pepper pots they are a fashion, it will pass.
JQL
Thursday 1 February 2007 9.58am
"Henrythev and Marlon have bost posted highly suspicious first posts regarding this restaurant and would seem to be connected to the restaurant. If the management are reading, you are a welcome addition to the area but people have found some niggling gripes which is not uncommon with a new restaurant. A restaurant that will survive will welcome this invaluable feedback and enter into a dialogue with its customers and not snipe or blatantly promote on a local website.

If you are not involved in the management then my apologies to the management...if you are then get some proper wine glasses, lose the awful urine recepticle condiment holders and sort out your portion control.

Oh...and welcome to the area, I hope you do well as we need more decent restaurants.
PKM
Thursday 1 February 2007 12.29pm
I am mystified by the range and tone of complaints made about this restaurant - I guess it can't be everything to all men (and women).

I visited on the opening week and thought it was lovely - fresh well-cooked and interesting food served by friendly staff. Its a sophisicated smart/casual local restaurant where where most people would expect to eat more than one course, so I thought the portions were just fine (and I have a decent appetite).

Its not somewhere I would eat every week because the prices are a little high for that (Strada and Dim T are more the sort of place for that)but given the food we had I think the prices were pretty good and anyway I doubt it's competing in the same market as Strada and Dim T.

As for the salt/pepper controversy, hardly a major issue!

I hope it does well. Definitely no connections with the establishment.
JQL
Thursday 1 February 2007 1.02pm
Yet another strange first post regarding the same restaurant...very odd indeed. James, from your memory of this site, has there ever been a thread or new restaurant that has solicited so many first posts of this kind?

For further example please see the ridiculous review written by Annabellase1 who coincidentally just registered to use the site minutes before posting an aggressively positive review which can be seen read in the reviews section of this site.

I thought the restaurant was fine but nothing special when I went - but the more strange posts I read on this site, the less likely I am to return in the future.
Thursday 1 February 2007 1.20pm
JQL wrote:
For further example please see the ridiculous review written by Annabellase1 who coincidentally just registered to use the site minutes before posting an aggressively positive review which can be seen read in the reviews section of this site.

Annabellase1 makes the same "if you don't like it then go to Chicken Sizzler" comment as henrythev did to me. Perhaps they are posting from the same IP address?

PKM wrote:
As for the salt/pepper controversy, hardly a major issue!

Excatly - hardly merited henrythev flying off the handle so spectacularly.

PKM wrote:
I hope it does well.

Me too, very much so. But all these strange first posts do look a little dodgy. If people are connected to the place how much better if they just come and say so and reply in slightly more civilised terms?
Thursday 1 February 2007 2.25pm
Wow... you lot are so paranoid.

So what if someone posts a review of a restaurant in their first post.

Some of you really need to get out a bit more instead of making wild accusations simply because has a different opinion.
JQL
Thursday 1 February 2007 2.38pm
Micky...it is not that one person has written a review on their first post, I'd agree with you..."so what". It is just that there have been a number of very odd posts regarding this restaurant from people making their first posts...not just one review.

No wild accusations were made, indeed I couched my earlier post with an apology if I had got things wrong. It is simply that there is something very fishy about these posts. I also asked James if he thought the pattern was odd.

Oh...and I get out plenty thanks.
Thursday 1 February 2007 3.34pm
Firstly, I am sure we are all keen to encourage new people to join in the forum, so please be careful not to put 'real' people off from having their say for fear of being accused of being a stooge of the restaurant.

That said, I share the concerns/suspicions about the earlier posts and review by henrythev/Annabellese1

I am happy that PKM has no obvious connections (from email address and IP address, at least) to the restaurant. With the other two it is harder to determine.

Unfortunately I wasn't tracking IP addresses on the review facility. This information is now recorded.

I am minded to remove the entries from the Magdalen reviews page because they aren't really reviews as such from people who have dined there.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 1 February 2007 3.51pm
On one other site I use with a review function - the number of posts a reviewer has made is visible next to their review. You tend to make your own mind up about the people who only have a few posts before posting glowing reviews.

The same site tried excluding people who had made less than 10 posts from posting reviews, but it didn't go down to well and seemed to lead to lots of "I'm only posting this so I can get enough posts to complain about x" posts.

Not sure how well this works on the SE1 setup, but may be worth considering ?
JQL
Thursday 1 February 2007 4.08pm
Thank you for your thoughts James. Of course I did not intend to put off any new posters but am keen that people are upfront so that the forum can continue to be a valuable and non-biased local resource.

It is a shame that some businesses are seemingly afraid of relying on their offerings and resort to somewhat underhand measures to promote their business. It simply smacks of insecurity in their product and their efforts would be better spent in embracing this forum and listening to genuinely held views and customer observations.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions