London SE1 community website

Magdalen restaurant on Tooley Street - sounds good!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Friday 30 March 2007 3.26am
I just come back to the area, and had a shock not to find Fina Estampa, maybe I took too long, almost a year, although Magdalen is new and well modernised, it felt cold an quiet. The food was ok, pricy for what you get, good desserts. Will we get a ceviche and apisco sour as good as Fina Estampas again ?? it was cosy and well priced with generous portions, Thank you F.E. Alegra.
Friday 30 March 2007 8.28am
Yes, this is the one I read about in The Sunday Times and was too senile to remember the name...rave review.
Friday 30 March 2007 8.48am
Yes, both Giles Coren and AA Gill gave it glowing reviews.
Mr Sarahmc and I enjoyed it, but we haven't felt an urge to go back since.
Sunday 1 April 2007 7.44pm
Fantastic review from Jay Rayner in The Observer today as well.

Where is henrythev (who is one of owners I presume) and his bizarre reaction to my trivial points about the salt and pepper now?!
Monday 2 April 2007 10.58am
Dear me. henrythev, (whether he is a co-owner or not) is awfully cross about the salt and pepper criticism of Magdalen, and the vigorous reaction to his rather bitchy response to this, and has since refused to post any further, apparently.

I was thinking of trying it out, but am worried by the report of tiny portions, and also the seemingly entrail-rich menu although I am keen on old fashioned British food: pheasant and other game, beef, potted shrimps, decent puddings such as trifle, steamed puds etc.

Maybe cooks, like artists, are a bit over-sensitive as obviously enormous emotions are involved. I may, in short, be forced to try the place. I see that Jay Rayner is also worried about the London Bridge area, which is strange, living as he does in leafy Brixton.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Monday 2 April 2007 11.03am
Well, he only describes Tooley St as an "unlovely urban thoroughfare". I don't think that counts as being worried.
Monday 2 April 2007 11.22am
OK Longlaner, I was probably associating this comment to the comments he made about the Elephant when reviewing Dragon Castle which were pretty strong.

Maybe I was also associating the apparently entrail rich menu at Magdalen to the very famous Fat Duck in Bray. Reading their menu, many of the dishes do seem a bit 'liver and lager' but are probably superb. Anyone eaten there?

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Monday 2 April 2007 11.25am
I've eaten at the Fat Duck and at Magdalen. Pretty different propositions, IMHO. Fat Duck is awesome, bonkers, hideously expensive and possibly somewhere a diner would only want to go once. Magdalen struck me as pretty good, but not worth the raves.

I do agree of course that Jay Rayner being rude about the Elephant and Borough is pretty droll, given where he lives. But then Giles Coren is always being derogatory about West London - maybe every food critic needs an area to deride?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions