London SE1 community website

New Lebanese restaurant - Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 6 March 2007 10.57pm
In the last couple of weeks, I've eaten take-away food from Hiba a couple of times, and some of my colleagues several times - as we're based just upstairs in Maya House.

We've been quite happy with the quality and service - even just for take away, we've not eaten in yet.

The staff have always been helpful and pleasant, and there seem to be plenty of them, to cope with the lunchtime rush.

I've not noticed any belly dancers, so maybe Hiba want to let the food do all the talking!

Cheers,
Mike
Sunday 18 March 2007 11.47pm
Any more opinions on this place, now they've been open a while? I've not had the opportunity to venture in yet, though its very close by. I'm looking forward to visiting, after reading what people have said above.
Monday 19 March 2007 9.55am
We have had several nice meals here, service has always been friendly and good but not too over attentive (I mean that as a good thing!) My partner, who thinks he knows a bit about lebanese food, thinks the food is very good, and it seems very reasonably priced compared to a lot of the other places we go to. They also seem very child friendly. We will definitely go back.
Monday 19 March 2007 1.41pm
Had a great dinner there the other week - lovely meze, nice mains (lamb and a salad) too. Impressed to have a table of older lebanese gentlemen next to us too!
Monday 26 March 2007 11.13am
Am I the only person to have had a disappointing meal at Hiba? I went the other week feeling fairly excited, because I think it's great that restaurants are opening up further down Borough High Street. However, the food just didn't live up my expectations - especially after such good reviews on this forum.

The starter of filo pastry parcels was extremely dry and dense and the filling was very bland (in my opinion not a patch on the delicious ones served at Tas). My main course of lamb mince, rice and tomatoes wrapped in vine leaves was = tasty, but my mother, who ate with me, was disappointed by her chicken dish. A huge plate of shredded chicken simply covered with a piece of pitta, not very well presented and rather dull to eat. We also had to wait over half an hour for the bill, despite asking for it several times. Should I give Hiba a second chance?!
Wednesday 28 March 2007 3.21pm
My boyfriend and I dropped in to Hiba last night for a bite to eat. I found the atmosphere and surroundings pleasant. The staff were friendly and patient and the service was excellent overall. The food was okay. Some dishes were delicious such as the spicy sausages while others such as the stuffed pastries were a bit dissapointing.Wine was poor so would give it a miss next time round. I thought the complimentary fruit dish and pastries at the end of the meal were a nice surprise and added the right finishing touch to the meal. Was great value and I'll definitely go back again soon.
Wednesday 28 March 2007 3.47pm
I've been three times with various (critical) friends from across the river and we all found it really good, although the last time service was a bit patchy.
The room is a nice funky design and the atmosphere really good. I didn't have a problem with the wine at all.
My friends from North of the river will certainly be coming to the Borough again thanks to Hiba and the Roxy next door!
Wednesday 28 March 2007 10.53pm
Went along last night in a foursome. Was very impressed. Must admit, I'm a fan of that kind of food, but I suppose this also means I've eaten a lot of it (and need to do some more exercise...). Anyway, very good meal, good variety and good value. Agree with one of the earlier posters, good addition to the area.
Monday 2 April 2007 5.34pm
I went there at the weekend and was very impressed, particularly with the lamb dishes. Mrs Madano has already been back a second time with some friends and her second meal was also good. I give it the thumbs up!
Sunday 15 April 2007 11.09am
Contemporary decor. Attentive staff - they'd have to be with a 12.5% Service Charge for Mrs Paul and myself. Found the pacing waiter with the metal heel studs clicking clicking clicking clicking on the floor more than a little distracting. Chilean wine delicious. Food nothing to write home about, will stick with Tas and Ev.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions