London SE1 community website

Elephant & Castle roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 18 January 2007 11.08am
Does anyone know what the building is in the middle of the E&C roundabout - next to the billboards. Huge silver thing ??? I walk past it every day and realised I had no idea what it is !!
Thanks
Kara
Thursday 18 January 2007 11.12am
Thursday 18 January 2007 12.01pm
Thanks Neil
Thursday 18 January 2007 6.34pm
I drove past it this evening and noticed that there are steps up to a door in the side of it. Does anyone know what is inside it??
Thursday 18 January 2007 10.54pm
hydrometer wrote:
I drove past it this evening and noticed that there are steps up to a door in the side of it. Does anyone know what is inside it??

I think that the door is a fire escape from the substation plant room inside. I belive it was put in in the last two years by London Underground to meet some new health and safety/building regs. As far as I can ascertain, TfL almost certainly didn't get listed building consent first, although as ever, I am ready to stand corrected.
Saturday 20 January 2007 2.41pm
From the booklet available at the current E&C regeneration exhibition:

Southwark Council wrote:
Plans are now underway for one of Elephant and Castle [sic] best known landmarks, the heritage listed Faraday Memorial, to be moved from its current location in the middle of the heavily trafficked northern roundabout to a more fitting location off Walworth Road.
Southwark Council is currently in discussions with the Science Museum and the memorial's original architect, Rodney Gordon, to bring a local branch of the science museum [sic] to Elephant and Castle, using the Faraday Memorial as a shell for the new facility.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 16 August 2008 6.21pm
I hadn't realised that Rodney Gordon, the architect of the Faraday Memorial, died at the end of May.

Belatedly, there was a wonderful obituary in yesterday's Times

Rodney Gordon: brutalist architect who worked with Owen Luder

(I think Jonathan Meades distinctive voice can be heard in this piece of writing)

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions