London SE1 community website

Borough High Street Sainsbury

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Friday 16 February 2007 11.58pm
BHS Sainsbury seems to be geared towards weekday lunchtime office staff. Surely no-one does their weekly shop there. Although it is handy for those odd couple of items you've run out of at weekends.
Some of the staff are a bit Royston Vasey, but the shop definately isn't meant to be a Local Shop for 'local people'.
Saturday 17 February 2007 1.06pm
they had one organic mature cheddar today. Its mine. All mine.
Noticed any other vanished items?
Saturday 17 February 2007 3.06pm
phoney wrote:
Some of the staff are a bit Royston Vasey, but the shop definately isn't meant to be a Local Shop for 'local people'.

I'll occasionally stop in there to pick up the odd thing on the way home from work - usually milk or something like that.

There's one chap who always says something like "Good night, sleep well" when you've paid him for your things in the evening.

I agree that it's an odd shop - the stock seems to be "whatever happened to arrive on the truck today". (When I worked on retail, we'd always end up with what are known as "cross-picks" - often completely irrelevant and unrelated substitutions, because what you had ordered was out of stock at the supply depot.)

There also probably isn't much stockroom space, therefore goods will often be worked from the delivery pallet straight to the shelf - which means you have to be able to fit at least a complete "outer" (the shipping carton - which might have 20/30 packets in it) on the shelf. It might explain oddities the cat milk lake, and what appears to be poor stock rotation - there simply isn't the warehouse space to have stock on hand at the shop, things are delivered supposedly "just in time", but if the supply chain fails, you go out of stock, or end up trying to sell strange cross-picks.

Then again, Sainsburys seem to have a terrible habit of employing fresh, malleable graduates who've probably never worked in a shop in their lives - which is probably where the complete lack of small (400g) loaves of bread comes from. You'll probably find the staff in the shop have no say about what and how much is sold.

What I'm trying to say is that the layout of the shelves and what's on them is designed by some person who doesn't need to shop there.
Saturday 17 February 2007 4.18pm
The thing is, I'm pretty sure they haven't expanded into space previouisly used for storage so there's no excuse for less choice.

Another point I forgot to mention. One of the women in there (she's left now) told me that when there are little or no shoppers in there the mice come out! I wouldn't buy the loose fruit and veg if I were you. There's no excuse for this either because those plug in things that emit an ultra-sonic sound to repel rodents really work.

I just think the lack of supermarkets in the area means people, including me, will use the place regardless.
Saturday 17 February 2007 4.19pm
It's very badly designed, worse than before I think, with less stock. There was no peanut butter the other night -- surely a staple.

It's also imperative that you check the use-by dates on everything you pick up at this branch.
Saturday 17 February 2007 7.33pm
beetroot wrote:
(Can someone tell me if that's the correct use of a semi-colon? I dream of one day using semi-colons. sigh)

No, a colon would have been better; but if you hadnt asked, no-one would have noticed! Here's a note on semi-colon use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon#English_usage

And one on colon use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29#Usage
Sunday 18 February 2007 1.19am
Why no comments about cost cutters in the area. the bottom line is , its a local not a supermarket . Where did everyone go before sainsbury local opened? Get a life !!
I am so glad it opened.
Sunday 18 February 2007 10.59am
well that's stupid.
Sunday 18 February 2007 11.39am
well I like this sains.

didn't know about a mice problem, but I'll still shop there.
Sunday 18 February 2007 12.22pm
scooter wrote:
Why no comments about cost cutters in the area. Where did everyone go before sainsbury local opened?

Because our expectations of a big name like Sainsburys are greater than our expectations of a privately owned shop running under a Costcutter franchise.

scooter wrote:
the bottom line is , its a local not a supermarket .

No one expects a 'Local' to carry the full range as a large branch. Sensible management regarding the range of products is expected though. (Cat milk, and a 6-foot tall freezer full of Haagen Dazs, for example)

The ability to keep stock available on shelves should be expected from any shop.

scooter wrote:
Get a life !!
I am so glad it opened.

And yes, I'm glad it opened too. I'd rather there be a Sainsbury's than no Sainsbury's, but you would have thought if they'd have had the inclination and funding to do a semi-refurbishment, they might have sorted out the range too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions