London SE1 community website

Borough High Street Sainsbury

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Sunday 18 February 2007 1.23pm
anyway...M&S simply food at More has a much better selection of food why bother with sainsbury? although admitedly M&S wine is rubbish they dont seem to stock any decent screw top ranges and who opens corks anymore??
Sunday 18 February 2007 1.50pm
The problem with all this 'local' 'metro' 'simply food' rubbish is it means they can charge more. Gaspachio in M&S simply food is 10p more than in the normal M&S over London Bridge.
Monday 19 February 2007 7.55am
boroughpaul wrote:
anyway...M&S simply food at More has a much better selection of food why bother with sainsbury? although admitedly M&S wine is rubbish they dont seem to stock any decent screw top ranges and who opens corks anymore??

M&S definitely should be stocking wine with corks, but for a different reason.

They stock every single on of them standing up, which means the corks dry out rapidly. Not coincidentally when I used to buy wine there, a huge percentage of what I bought had gone off when I opened it. So I stopped getting wine there.
Monday 19 February 2007 9.20am
beetroot wrote:
The problem with all this 'local' 'metro' 'simply food' rubbish is it means they can charge more. Gaspachio in M&S simply food is 10p more than in the normal M&S over London Bridge.

That's probably because the "Simply Food" shops aren't all owned and operated by M&S. A number of them are franchises, with some flexibility to operators as to pricing - including the one at More London.

Simply Food
Monday 19 February 2007 3.27pm
"The Coscutters and Right Price outlets must be fuming."

Mindful of Jame's facing legal problems, I will just say that I
a) do not buy non-tinned or bottled foods from Costcutters and
b) check my change carefully from all food outlets on BHS

I have reported to Brough Police Station the false 1 coins I was issued at Londis on BHS (near London Bridge).
Monday 9 April 2007 8.05am
returning to this thread just to make the point that the borough high st sainsbury goes from bad to worse. they seem to have decided that piat d'or wine is either a) in demand or b) this year's trendy wine. what next special offers on black tower? blue nun tastings? i have never seen so much piat d'or in a shop since kylie was in dungarees. their management is clearly clueless with regard to the profile of their customer. no screw cap wine and no decent wine for around a fiver. then there are the endless queues...
they will be up for it once tesco opens up in the former marketing suite at tabard square. and thats definite!
Monday 9 April 2007 9.32am
It has got even worse. Even less choice.
boroughpaul, you seem to like wine.
Monday 9 April 2007 9.33am
OMG is this that noticeable??
Friday 20 April 2007 3.27pm
Yeah BHS Sainsburys has a wierd stocking system, like no food, but many magazines, cards, dvds. No toilet roll for days on end... Or loads of one thing like cooking choclate, hundreds and thousands, pan cake mix but no milk, eggs, tomatoes etc. You would think with Bourough being so trendily 'foody'
they would have caught on.....
PS it has taken me along tome to relise BHS is Borough High Street and not British Home stores,
must be malnutrition.....
Friday 20 April 2007 7.47pm
You cannot go anywhere in London without finding mice and rats. I kill at least one rat a week in traps in my garden - and some of them are huge, nine or ten ounces - excluding the pregnant ones which would be more. Stop being so precious.

As for range... well it's a tiny store with no worthwhile storage space. Be grateful that the shop is there - and if you loathe it so much, don't go.

There's a very good reason why you have to buy an entire bag of onions. The shop cannot make sufficient money to pay its considerable rent/rates/return on capital (much greater per square foot than for an out-of-town store like OKR) if it sells 'value' lines. If you like the convenience, then shop there. If you don't, go to Tesco/Asda on the OKR.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions