London SE1 community website

Honest Cabbage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 18 February 2002 10.24pm
I want to write to tell you that I am glad that I have been told about this forum, as I am not very eemail literate. I am just in the process of taking my cabbage into my own hands and this is just the right place to start. we are in the right place to be a local restaurant and what with our grand deluded plans in The Cut and it's subsequent disaster, confidence has been shattered and that honest thing that Alex and I built up nearly 5 years ago has been lost.
That has ended. I want to welcome your advice and opinions about all aspects of The Cabbage-those new and those who remember her of old- we opened it to become a local restaurant and that is what it must become again. This can only be done with the help of locals and those who like being here.
Thank you.
Tuesday 19 February 2002 9.22am
Having had a moan about the honest cabbage earlier I was concerned that this might have got back to them when I was taken there again by a client. However I was pleasantly surprised, the food and service was good and no smells of fat, (although I did have a cold). It.s back in my good books. I also welcome fred dickisons open minded approach to critisism.
Tuesday 19 February 2002 12.43pm
Hi Fred.

As the person who started this thread and someone why walks past everyday - you are the closest resturant or even pub with food to where I live, I was really turned off by the smells (could even smell it outside) and the quality of food and service I got late last year. I've noticed that I have not smelt anything outside for a while now so that is promising.

From what you have said above I am happy to come in again soon and try it again. You do have a good resturant and I have had some very good meals there, lets hope I will be having plenty more good experiences at the cabbage.

All the best and good luck.

John Redgrave.
Tuesday 19 February 2002 2.43pm
It is still open, promise!! (and doing really well....the food is lovely, and it's such good value)

Paula x
Tuesday 19 February 2002 6.21pm
dear Sam
on our laurels is perhaps close but not quite right. cowwering in a corner after being beaten is more like it. As to competition, well, the more reasons to stay in bermondsey the happier are it's residents and businesses. By the end of this yeaar i hope to see a full market on bermondsey square and at least 2 bars and 3 cafes. this is why we have been here for so long to watch the amazing transformation of this street. the gentrification came more in a collossal corporate form in the past two years what with everything being torn down and re-built and now, this summer, is when there is finally some completed spaces for these businesses to move in. personally i would like to see a hat shop on bermondsey street- that's it walking up to london bridge with a lovely shopping bag with la-ti-das of Bermondsey street- that's what i want to see and i feel sure it will happen soon. I hope you will give us another try in the near future- the great cabbage dame is ahaving a face-lift because she deserved it, and the staff have had a personality change because locals have asked for it.
regards, fred
Jayne
Sunday 24 February 2002 1.22pm
tried Honest out on friday eve and yes its getting back to its old good self. spied and spoke to the friendly owner (apologies to him as I thought he was the old manager!). I like his approach to the comments he's seen on this website and he's eager to put things right - good for him and he deserves to be successful. just the right sort we need around here!
Friday 1 March 2002 12.23pm
This is all really encouraging. When I moved in to Bermondsey St it was great to have such a good local restaurant and I found the staff really friendly. Then it just bnecame impossible - noisy, indifferent food, poor service as everyone else has reported. I wish you luck, Fred, and hope it works out.

Champor Champor was very good the only time I tried it (last autumn) - I keep meaning to go back. Arancia's definitely still open - it's always full whenever I try to book a table so I haven't been there yet but I'll get my act together one day and ring them up in advance.

Andy
Saturday 2 March 2002 11.36am
The Honest Cabbage got a nice write-up in the Standard's ES magazine yesterday, although it erroneously claims the restaurant has been around for 200 years!

The reviewer claims that Jamie Oliver's next series will be filmed in a loft in Bermondsey Street - anyone heard about this?

The Leathermarket Exchange also gets a mention, as does Champor-Champor.

It doesn't seem to be on the Standard website, otherwise I'd post a link.
Sam
Tuesday 5 March 2002 8.31am
Fred, thanks for your responses. I was extremely disappointed by THREE visits to the Cabbage in the last months of 2001, and I haven't been back since. I really hope it's true that you've taken things in hand as I like the place a lot. It's only fair that I should come again after making criticisms on this public forum. So, I'll see you soon! Good luck.

And I think Bermondsey Street should have a hat shop, as well.

But Jamie Oliver is welcome to stay north of the river.
Josie Jo
Tuesday 5 March 2002 2.34pm
I thought I'd risk the Honest Cababage again afer reading these criticisms and the proprietor's response. The service was great, but as a vegetarian I found the menu extremely limited. There was only one vegetarian main course, which was Red Thai Curry - if you're not a fan of this then you're a bit stuck for choice really. I'm not sure I'll be back in a hurry...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions