London SE1 community website

Southwark / Elephant & Castle supermarkets?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 5 February 2007 4.22pm
Liberty wrote:
I never suggested that moving there was a big deal.

Oh OK, it's just you came across as very anxious that the area was dangerous, and that it would be something very unknown and different to be living here.

Please read back over the thread and you will see that people were mostly keen to allay your fees and change your perceptions, and just enjoy this great area, which I know you will.
Monday 5 February 2007 6.43pm
it's funny, but this whole thread has reminded me of a parable I was once told. I'm not usually given to "spiritual" thoughts (unless of course they're G&T related) but I thought I share with you the tale of two travellers journeying in the Himalayas.

The first traveller, on his way from the highest village is journeying down the mountainside when he meets an old priest sat at the side of the road.

He asks the man, "how is yonder village in the valley, and what are it's people like?"
The old priest answers with a question-
"how did you find the high mountain village and it's people"

"oh they were wonderful and friendly, open and welcoming. It is possibly the most excellent village in the world"

The priest replied - "i think you will find the people in the valley much the same. Enjoy your journey"

Shortly afterwards, another traveller was climbing the mountain path, heading for the high village when he spotted the old priest.

"Sir, will you kindly tell me what yonder village is like, and how are it's people?"

Again, the priest replied, "how did you find the valley village and it's people?"

To this, the traveller got angry - "they were rude and offensive, mean and unpleasant. Quite the worst place I have ever visited"

To which the priest replied ""i think you will find the people in the mountain village much the same."

Take your own message from the story, but to me it's always been about the joy of open-mindedness and a willingness to share.

Liberty, I'd like to welcome you to the area, safe in the knowledge that your nom de plume is very significant in these parts, hereabouts being known historically as the "Liberty of the Clink" for many years.
Monday 5 February 2007 6.49pm
chustler wrote:
...safe in the knowledge that your nom de plume is very significant in these parts, hereabouts being known historically as the "Liberty of the Clink" for many years.

And has still has a local resonance for different reasons:

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/contact/index.shtml
Monday 5 February 2007 6.53pm
Siduhe wrote:
And has still has a local resonance for different reasons:
http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/contact/index.shtml

and the great thing about SE1 is that you learn something new everyday!

thanks Siduhe
Thursday 8 February 2007 11.57am
Well, I can add a few recommendations, maybe...we moved to SE1 from Kensington 2.5 years ago and we love it! Yes, it's not so 'green' or elegant but it's got so much charachter..and a lot of shops to discover. Sainsbury is not great but it's open pretty much all the time, even new year's day. Borough market is great, lower marsh market is also v good, for cheap vegetables and once every three months or so they host the 'french market' too. There are a lot of restaurant and bars to choose from and nice shops...like Konditor & Cook, conveniently situated next to the recently (a year ago) opened Soho Gym, which is very good. So welcome to SE1!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions