London SE1 community website

Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 12 February 2007 3.08pm
jas wrote:
It looks like the 3 million pounds redevelopment is coming to an end - however from what I can see, now that fences are being removed, is what looks like the typical pub refurbishment. It's hard to spot any difference!
They seem to have fixed the bricks and laid out new lawns, that's all. Not even a playground? That sort of money would have made a nice financial injection into the most inadequate primary school of the country - located just opposite :-(

Instead, city workers can have a more enjoyable lunchbreak. I'm amazed that this is just another of those superficial facelifts, and real social local issues are just buried underneath the new grass. I want my tax back!

It was funded from the budget of the Pool of London Partnership and from the developers of More London so none of your tax was spent on it!

I think it looks fine so far, a big improvement on what was there before. Its a bit late to complain about it when its near completion - there was plenty of consultation 2 or so years back on what local people wanted from the new park.
Monday 12 February 2007 7.48pm
As I said in my post JK, there was consultation however there was no feedback on what they did with the public comments that were gathered. Did they incorporate ANY ideas whatsoever from those given or just go off and do their own thing anyway?

Expressing a view regardless of whether one contributed to the "consultation" is not complaining.
Tuesday 13 February 2007 8.47am
spacemaker wrote:
As I said in my post JK, there was consultation however there was no feedback on what they did with the public comments that were gathered. Did they incorporate ANY ideas whatsoever from those given or just go off and do their own thing anyway?
Expressing a view regardless of whether one contributed to the "consultation" is not complaining.

I don't know what most people wanted in the park so I can't say whether they incorporated the ideas or not. Still, it's not finished as yet so items/ features could yet be added. As you said, its probably best to wait until its finished.

BTW, isn't the expression of a negative view a complaint?
Tuesday 13 February 2007 9.26am
Well, here's a link to the website which includes artist impressions of what it will look like as well as a schematic birds eye view of the whole park:

http://www.potters-fields-park.com/

I think it will look pretty good when finished - simple and understated - though how long it will stay looking nice is another question.

The current tarmac paths through the park are to be covered in a gravel.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 12.02am
"BTW, isn't the expression of a negative view a complaint?"

No I don't think so JK. It depends what's driving the view being expressed. I simply want, as I am sure you do, the best for the area and of course I am biased towards the benefits for local residents (especially as I have been one for the last 20 years and hopefully the next 20 too).

I am very pleased that this is happening at all, even though I cannot rationalise the cash being spent, and the images I've just seen thanks to garethpmorgan give me a little bit of hope. Curves and evergreens were my personal hope but my hopes (so far) have been dashed. That's not a complaint, simply an expression of disappointment.

Going public on how consultation feedback was used seems like a very reasonable point to make too and not just on this project but others to come.
jas
Monday 2 April 2007 3.11pm
This is in fact using the (council) tax payers money:
"The project is being funded and managed by the Pool of London Partnership, Southwark Council and More London." (http://pooloflondon.co.uk/press/index.php/00101.mtml)

The fences are down as of today, the buildings are not finished by far, and the "pret-a-marcher" lawn is awaiting the Easter weekend stampede. I'm still amazed how much it cost, and how little was achieved in return. What a missed opportunity.
Monday 2 April 2007 3.18pm
The big event to celebrate the opening is now set for 17-19 May:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/2052

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 April 2007 7.48pm
Strange - I don't see the "Lob a rotten tomato at the BH Boys" stall.

I would gladly pay for a crate full (about 50 smelly projectiles) as long as it's below a fiver - I thank you.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 7.07pm
Well someone looked pleased with the new-look park this afternoon:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 April 2007 7.36am
Ahhhhh!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions