London SE1 community website

Good place in SE1 for Sunday lunch?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 12 February 2007 10.44am
SophieLondon wrote:
Hi. I'm veggie but my ex was omniverous and rated it highly. For a veggie is one of the best Sunday lunch options in the area... veggie sausages, all the trimmings and veggie gravy. I'm not a beer drinker so I appreciate the wine choices here. Apparently the beer good too! Also they serve Sunday lunch til pretty late in the afternoon - which is handy for those Sundays-after-the-late-Saturday-night-before....

Oops - sorry for confusion. I was referring to The White Hart in Waterloo, Cornwall St.
Monday 12 February 2007 10.53am
It being Monday this is probably a bit obsolete, however i cannot recommend highly enough the King's Head on corner of Tooley Street and Lafone (i think), really amazingly good food, great atmosphere and a generally nice pub!
Monday 12 February 2007 11.33am
Oh good thanks Sophie, because that's the one which is local to me!

Vickles - not obsolete at all - only 6 days until next sunday!
Monday 12 February 2007 1.50pm
You may have to reserve in Kings Arms. All tables were booked out when I popped in yesterday afternoon.
Monday 12 February 2007 3.12pm
The fantastic Anchor and Hope is open on Sundays now. You have to book and it's a set menu, I think.

www.dorisandbertie.com
Monday 12 February 2007 9.11pm
JaneS wrote:
Oh dear, some confusion here! There appear to be two White Harts! One in Waterloo on Cornwall Rd:
http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/reviews/7564.html

(NOT the hyperlink which this forum automatically gives to it),

and one on Great Suffolk Street, which the hyperlink correctly picks up on.

I wonder which the recommendations were based on!

Hi JaneS

It was The White Hart in Cornwall Street I went to investigate.
I was aware that The White Hart in Great Suffolk Street is closed on Sunday.
My wife and I often eat out at weekends and find pub grub more to our budget than some of the restaurants in the area, so we are always on the lookout for new places to try.
Other places I have had Sunday roasts are The Ring and The Mad Hatter Hotel. Both are very good but found the MHH portion smaller than I would like, unless I was just hungrier that day. The Prince Albert is the cheapest I have seen which was about 5 although that was last year, and was very reasonable at that price.
The other reason I prefer pub grub is that I also like to wash it down with copious amounts of real ale.
mac
Friday 16 February 2007 6.16pm
Hi we went to the Cut Bar at the Young Vic for lunch last sunday and it was really nice. They have a veggie lunch (which I had), Mr Mac had poisson (I hope that's how you spell it - the small chicken thing) and our friends had fish & chips. It's a nice relaxing atmosphere
Friday 16 February 2007 11.03pm
mac wrote:
Hi we went to the Cut Bar at the Young Vic for lunch last sunday and it was really nice

I wasnt impressed by the look of the flyer that The Cut Bar shoved in my letter box. Unreadably small writing for a start, and I thought the menu sounded a bit odd, and three strange overlapping serving sessions.

mac wrote:
Mr Mac had poisson (I hope that's how you spell it - the small chicken thing)

Poussin (poisson is 'fish' in french!)
Wednesday 4 April 2007 11.13pm
Does anyone know details of sunday lunch at the Anchor and Hope? E.g. how many courses / how much is it?
Friday 27 April 2007 2.00pm
If you like Japanese Food then you can try Poppy Hana next to Bermondsey station was there last night BUT not sure if they're open on Sundays - you'd have to check.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions