London SE1 community website

Controlled Parking Zone review: zones C1, C2 & D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Jac
Monday 12 February 2007 3.05pm
Camden already do sell more permits than they have spaces for and have done for years
Tuesday 13 February 2007 6.10pm
The demise of Bermondsey Square has taken 10 residents' and about 50 pay-and-display parking spaces out of circulation. As it is in the extreme northeast corner of Zone D, it has put a lot of pressure on the remaining spaces in lower Bermondsey Street and surrounding streets. Over the last couple of months, the pavements have been undergoing renewal and ther have been major water company roadworks, causing even more suspended bays.

Why are the zones so small?

If I live on the edge of a zone, why can't I park in the zone next to my "home" zone?

Why can't I get resident's visitor parking vouchers for Zone D like residents of other zones can?

Why does the council give permission to roadmenders etc. to park their equipment, materials and skips in residents' bays?

Answer: Because the council has a politically fuelled hatred of private and commercial transport. It promotes the fallacy that private and commercial vehicles cause congestion. And covers our streets with empty bus lanes and spy cameras.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 10.39am
Glad to see that the review of the CPZ's has provoked some debate. However, I would urge you to also give your views to the tranport team by either going to the exhibitions or sending back the reply section that came with the booklet.
KM
Wednesday 14 February 2007 10.59am
Cllr Morris, I have sent back the reply section and I made it clear I was happy with things as they stand. This is a cynical attempt to raise taxes and I hope everyone does all they can to stop it. I have three neighbours who have repeatedly been turned down for parking permits and the weekend is the only time they (and I'm sure many others) can actually park near to their homes for free.

I've voted Lib Dem for over twenty years and was happy when you took control of the council but, if this administration continues as it has recently, will reconsider next time!
Wednesday 14 February 2007 11.31am
What booklet we have not received one?
Wednesday 14 February 2007 3.43pm
The CPZ reviews are taking place because residents within these zones have repeatedly requested more resident parking bays and longer hours. In some areas residents have requested 24 hour resident parking bays.

Some residents are not able to buy parking permits because they are in new residential developments. It is council policy to discourage the use of cars in an area that has very good public transport links, and also to prevent extra pressure on parking spaces for existing residents where there is no space for extra bays. Purchasers of these properties are well aware of this when they buy their properties.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 3.49pm
Hi Adele - are you able to clarify which CPZs are currently being consulted? Is it just C1 and C2 or are other neighbouring zones affected?

On the previous page Jac mentions zone D is also under review, but the council website is unclear on the matter(!).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 4.24pm
Zone D is also under review.

I notice that the website has still not been updated so I will chase them on this.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 6.18pm
Cllr Adele Morris wrote:
The CPZ reviews are taking place because residents within these zones have repeatedly requested more resident parking bays and longer hours. In some areas residents have requested 24 hour resident parking bays.

I can understand that. It doesn't apply to me, but I can see how it might to others. But why just put in place a Saturday morning control? What's the thinking behind that? Surely fully extend or leave alone? Not a half measure which doesn't seem to help anyone and leaves the council's intentions looking slightly dubious.
Thursday 15 February 2007 6.55pm
The Southwark website has now been updated at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/Parking/cpzreviews/
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions