London SE1 community website

Perronet House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Wednesday 26 September 2007 10.32am
Went to this and it says it is unobtainable.
Wednesday 10 October 2007 7.47pm
I've just come across this thread about my blog at PerronetHouse.com. I'm glad there are readers. To answer the few old queries and comments above I can confirm that the blog relaunched a few weeks ago with a total change in emphasis. Where as before I shared the horrors and frustrations of the place I've decided to search for the positive in this place. Hence what was once "the trials and tribulations of a tower block" is now "the celebration". It's an experiment in rejuvenating this place and trying to lift spirits here and beyond. I began by gardening here and with that doing well I now want to see how much I can turn around the place by making people feel as passionate about the place as I do. It's not just the building but the people here, it's the friendliest place I've lived in London, even though it's the only place where I've had my flat threatened with arson, had a screw driver shoved into me (fortunately a cardboard box was between me and the offending weapon) and had my car stolen by a neighbour. You don't either love or hate Perronet House, you love it and hate it at the same time.

The blog briefly went off line this summer as I figured out how to change it, but should now be entirely accessible at http://www.perronethouse.com. I hope you find it as enjoyable to read, though like any news outlet, perhaps the horror stories are more compelling than the good news.

Other points to clear up:
- Longlaner wrote that I'd won BBC talent a few years ago... I've no idea where that idea came from as I've not entered.
- If the South London press want to employ me, just give me a call. My first book will be published by Bloomsbury in May 2008 and SE1 features prominently in it.
- Please do enlist at http://www.guerrillagardening.org, join me on one of our local digs and buy one of our Lavender Pillows harvested from our illicit field on Westminster Bridge Road. Our other giant triangle of sunflowers at the top of Blackfriar's Road / Stamford Street junction (currently still flowering at a height of about 8 foot) needs to be dug up with bulbs later in the month, a date will be announced shortly.
Wednesday 10 October 2007 8.22pm
Thanks Perronnetonian. I am a close neighbour, a Gaywoodian. I may yet buy another Lavender Pillow, but am a bit beyond any useful digging due to general decrepitude. I did find the 'trials and tribulations' a good read if a bit depressing. I hope however that the new 'celebration' won't be undiluted saccharine!

I think most close neighbours as well as strangers and passers-by appreciate the guerrilla gardening work which so improves the locality and I am sure we would all wish to thank you and the other workers for your great efforts.
Zoe
Wednesday 10 October 2007 8.34pm
I like Perronet House in cake form. Was it delicious?
Wednesday 10 October 2007 11.41pm
The Perronet House cake was delicious, if a little sugary, because we used icing sugar paste to glue all those biscuits together! It was also extremely delicate, bits fell off with the slightest wobble, just like the real thing.
Wednesday 10 October 2007 11.43pm
Sorry I must amend that last e-mail... bits of Perronet House never fall off these days, it's a wonderful place, as solid as a rock, lifts as reliable as a Swiss station clock etc etc.
Thursday 11 October 2007 6.01am
That was quite funny. Now we're all going to want to move in.
Thursday 11 October 2007 7.32am
Gosh Perronetonian what an adventurous person you seem to be. I do hope you're coming to Firework Night so we can put a face to the name. Carry on gardening, I'm having TWO pillows.
Zoe
Thursday 11 October 2007 6.26pm
I'm wondering if he can make other cakes, I think our block would look great using jam rolls.
Friday 12 October 2007 3.04pm
Jackie, I'd love to come to your fireworks night. What are the details?... and I can I suggest a "cake-off" between all those living in Elephant & Castle landmarks. I want to see MCH, Albert Barnes Tower, Draper House and the Heygate in cake... Andrew H pointed me to a previous landscape version of the Elephant in cake, but whoever the chef was had a very poor sense of geography and architecture, it could have been Potsdamer Platz for all I know.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions