London SE1 community website

Perronet House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Friday 14 March 2008 11.54am
wjfox2004 wrote:
This building is truly hideous. The area would look so much better without it.

I would say it's the 1980s "improvements" which are bad, and not the original building itself.
TAK
Friday 14 March 2008 2.11pm
Zappomatic wrote:
wjfox2004 wrote:
This building is truly hideous. The area would look so much better without it.

I would say it's the 1980s "improvements" which are bad, and not the original building itself.

I agree the 80's additions are terrible and not in keeping with the rest. The original building itself is in my opinion great, even though it's a bit run down. I really like it.
The quality of space inside the flats is much better than most new build flats or conversions you get in London.
Saturday 22 March 2008 4.51pm
In response to a few of the points above:

1. I recently acquired a mortgage for Perronet House. On high rise concrete HSBC require (since last Feb 07) a 20% deposit, so only helpful for the very liquid. Abbey were promising until their idiotic surveyor visited and declared the building to be made from prefabricated concrete panels (it isn't, it's INSITU concrete), so in the end I got a deal with Mortgage Express via a broker.

2. The building is not particularly run down. I have seen far scruffier privately managed more recently built communal blocks. The main issue of maintenance (which is a serious irritation and danger) are the lifts. The machinery has been grinding away for 37 years and the engineers who regularly visit insist (to residents who ask) it needs replacing rather than repeatedly repairing. Yet we are told Southwark Council has no plans to do so for at least 3 years. Although the 1980s improvements at the ground floor were fairly unsympathetic to Sir Roger Walters original design the rest of the building is remarkably original and inventive with space, light and sound. Most residents adore this place and very little in MCH opposite comes close to the quality of living space or construction.

3. The windows are predominantly double-glazed and there are no plans to replace them. It would be a shocking waste of money to do so. Only the smaller panels in the windows are single glazed. Complaints about indoor temperature are usually about it being too warm or too cold because the communal oil fired boiler has broken down.

4. We hope to get a concierge for Perronet House in the not too distant future. A generous space for their office already exists in the lobby from the time when Perronet House had a TMO. A concierge would add to security, friendliness and efficiency with which communal issues are dealt with and lift Perronet House to even greater standards.

Perronet House is an overlooked gem of a building. All praise Perronet House.
Sunday 23 March 2008 4.13pm
No question that the flats built in the time of Perronet House are infintely more solid, spacious and family friendly than the flimsy rabbit hutches being built in the new developments. I have a flat in the Aylesbury Estate, and although the estate may be a bit grim looking the actual flat (a 2.5 floor, three bedroom mainsonette) is absolutely smashing. It's a low rise so there's no one above, the rooms are generous, you cant here a thing the walls are so thick....and now of course they're going to pull it down and build some more little boxes.
Thursday 24 July 2008 3.03pm
my family lived in perronet house at number 8,i lived there for a year after i was born,any residents remember the ing family???
Sunday 10 August 2008 7.42pm
After a hiatus of about 5 months I've finally updated the blog... and I've back dated it as well with the previous entries that were removed when I briefly (and briefly) tried only to focus on the positive stories in the building. Perronet House is in the papers again this week (p28 of Time Out) and the tittle tattle is far to fun (and at times irritating) not to share. http://www.perronethouse.com.
Thursday 25 September 2008 9.41pm
Once again someone got trapped in a lift today in Perronet House, Elephant & Castle. This time I filmed the whole drama, which is very familiar to residents here.

You can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZM8v8XiWk

More details at PerronetHouse.com
Friday 26 September 2008 7.26am
Filthy B******d's from the appearance of his bowel motions he obviously has a fibre rich diet...eeuch..
Friday 5 December 2008 11.58am
Once again Perronet House is in the headlines. This time because the ham-fisted lobsters at Southwark Council have decided to bill us for the voluntary gardening around our block. Last year they refunded us three years worth of charges admitting their negligence and permitting me and other residents to continue. But now we are fighting a guerrilla war again, as they say the refund was an error and we must pay! Their reasoning is a spurious claim that Perronet House is benefiting from their maintenance of a cul-de-sac estate several blocks away, a place we have no connection with at all. The full torrid details are at http://www.GuerrillaGardening.org and in today's South London Press. Councilor Kim Humphreys has chosen to be the public face justifying the council's incompetence but behind the scenes it's Margaret O'Brien (Head of Housing) and Martin Green (Head of Home Ownership) who have made the wrong decision and let us all down. Other than battling in the press and writing to other more sympathetic councilors can anyone offer advice?

(A short film of our flower beds at their best can be seen here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=52MBTerLHrc)

Richard
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions