London SE1 community website

Theft of SE1 Mail Continues?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Monday 19 February 2007 1.00pm
A parcel was sent to me from America in December and didn't arrive - a replacement was send a month ago and this has still not arrived.
I also increasingly find the postman gives one little ping on the door bell and goes immediately so that there is no time to get to the entry phone unless one happens to be passing in the hall at that moment.
Monday 19 February 2007 1.45pm
I moved out of SE1 in December and had arranged for my post to be forwarded to my new address. It worked for two weeks and since then has stopped. Ive checked with Royal mail and my forwarding agreement is still in place until June yet Ive received nothing for about 6 weeks inlcuding AMEX bills, letters from the DVLA etc etc. Not to say its the fault of the SE1 post guys but its looking fairly likely reading this thread!
Monday 19 February 2007 1.59pm
Did anyone attend the South Bank Forum meeting on this? It was held quite a while ago but a man from the PO fraud unit gave out his personal phone number for anyone to call if they continued to experience problems.

The problems in our building are due to incompetence rather than fraud but they are just as annoying. The postmen cannot read numbers of 3 digits or more so the wrong mail is delivered to apartments. Some people are good about re-delivering mail but others are away, fed up with acting as surrogate postmen or can't be bothered and so lots of mail goes missing.

Constant calls to PO complaints don't produce any improvement. They say the postmen have been spoken to but there's no sign of improvement. They need classes in numeracy.
JQL
Monday 19 February 2007 3.42pm
Please excuse the needless rant...

Postmen don't care because they work in an environment with a strong union where it is nigh on impossible to get sacked. It breeds a pathetic culture of long term sickness and a feckless attitude because there is a continual mistaken feeling that they are the oppressed workers toiling away to provide for the fat cats.

The days of the unions should be long gone. They are the root cause of a great deal of the inefficiency and strife in Britain and beyond. The leaders of the unions are all hypocrites and are out to spend as long at the trough as they can with as many perks as they can get.

As the famous quote about Arthur Scargill went "he went into the strike with a big union and a small house and at the end he had a small union and a big house."

Anyway...get rid of the sense of entitlement bred by the unions and we may actually get our post once in a while.
Monday 19 February 2007 5.17pm
i don't know if they've been stolen, but we've had post not delivered for several months now, all from the same person. a wedding invite, a wedding thank you card, a birthday card, a christmas card, and other things too. We've checked with the sender to see if they have the correct address, and they do. they all come from Truro, and none of them have arrived at our place.

Grrr!

problem is, you don't know what you're missing unless someone actually tells you that they will send you a letter, or you're expecting it. Lord knows how much stuff we've lost which we never knew about!!
Tuesday 20 February 2007 6.10am
JQL wrote:
Anyway...get rid of the sense of entitlement bred by the unions and we may actually get our post once in a while.

IMO, it isnt about unions - there are examples everywhere in the world of union workers doing outstabing work.

I think this it is about a culture of cynicism that is growing rapidly here. We've got public services that are "privatised for our efficiency" - but what we get instead are incentives for cynical business owners to come in cut costs to the bone, outsource this and that and turn viable careers into temp jobs. That leaves you with workers at odds with owners and no one cares.

Which is how you end up with a "public service" institution where our mail get stolen pretty much regularly and openly, but no one cares - they dont have to. There are no real penalties for non-performance here.

And even worse, I still dont have a "choice" here. I cant designate another company that I know is honest to handle my incoming mail from other people. Why? Royal Mail is a not to be trusted as far as I am concerned.

At the moment, I have resolved to tell people to send us anything of value by recorded mail and to a work address rather than home. This is just appalling, really. The idea of "service" here is D-E-A-D.
Tuesday 20 February 2007 9.02am
I asked the postman about a missing parcel from december and he said it was impossible to trace anything because you're not sure who handled it - Royal Mail/TNT/DHL. Tesco now use DHL for mail collection but they pass it on to Royal Mail. Several banks now use DHL or TNT also but then it's delivered by Royal Mail.
I went to Mandela Way to enquire if they had a parcel but the bloke there said all mail not collected that didn't have a return address was sent on to another depot. He gave me the number but I didn't bother pursuing it as it just sems like too much hassle.
Over christmas our door entry system was faulty and sometimes a card was just shoved under the main entrance and blown about or nicked and you didn't know you had a parcel at Mandela Way. Sometimes the parcel bloke didn't even bother leaving a card, just took the parcel back which then disappears into the void.
I told everyone I know that if I don't acknowledge anything they sent in the post, even a postcard, then that meant I didn't receive it. Don't want people thinking I didn't have the good manners to thank them for a christmas or birthday gift.
Tuesday 20 February 2007 12.51pm
the postal service in this country is very bad (i know it could be worse somewhere in europe) - everyone from my country agree with it as parcels have gone missing in the past etc.

and i remember reading an article about poor postal service in the uk last year - and se1 was in the worst 10 (probably within 5)!
Tuesday 20 February 2007 1.10pm
Reg Lynch,

Sidhue and I were at the South Bank Forum. Being invited to speak to an audience which included two local MPs should have helped concentrate Post Office minds, and there certainly seemed to be some effective action following it.

The South Bank Forum agenda is agreed by Kate Hoey and Simon Hughes. Perhaps they might be asked if this item can be repeated.

Sarah
Monday 26 February 2007 11.26pm
So. On Friday I evening I went down to check my post. There was a note from the post office saying they'd tried to deliver a parcel but I wasn't in. I work at home and had been in ALL DAY.

My partner went to Mandela way to pick up the package but they couldn't find it. While he was there he overheard two women talking about how they, too, had been in all day but had had a note in the letter box about the post office not being able to deliver a parcel.

Anyone else experienced this? It does sound like a scam to me and I'm very cross about it!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions