London SE1 community website

Theft of SE1 Mail Continues?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Tuesday 27 February 2007 10.21am
I have had this happen several times. Once, I heard the post come through the door and amongst it was a card saying they had tried to deliver a parcel. I chased the postman immediately and he had to admit that they often don't carry the parcels for delivery and just post the cards through instead. What great business practice by Royal Mail and Mandela Way!
Tuesday 27 February 2007 12.06pm
I've had the same - they seem to have decided that most people aren't in during the day so don't bother even attempting to deliver packets or parcels.

It's getting to the stage where Royal Mail might as well not bother delivering any mail. I'd be quicker walking past a collection office every morning because by the time the postman actually arrives, it's almost noon.
Jac
Tuesday 27 February 2007 12.37pm
Beowulf wrote:
So. On Friday I evening I went down to check my post. There was a note from the post office saying they'd tried to deliver a parcel but I wasn't in. I work at home and had been in ALL DAY.
Anyone else experienced this? It does sound like a scam to me and I'm very cross about it!

Like you I work from home so am often in all day. This does happen to me occassioanlly and I have complained and each time it has been on my regular posties day off. Maybe my regular postie know me and knows im often in or maybe its becuase he is one of a dying breed who has done the same round for many years.
TAK
Tuesday 27 February 2007 1.26pm
I had a variation of this a while ago. I was awaiting my new router delivered by Royal Mail and was reassured by the sender it would arrive on one particular day up to 7pm. As noting had arrived by 7.15 pm I tracked the parcel and was told it had been delivered and signed for that very afternoon and obtaining a proof of signature would take three days.
Guess what happened the following morning, my parcel (that apparently was signed for the afternoon before) arrived!
Tuesday 27 February 2007 4.35pm
having had great trouble getting my parcels redelivered at a more convenient time (mandela way don't seem to know how to answer the phone), i'm delighted to see that you can now arrange online to have your post redelivered. not tried it yet though.

-D.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 5.41pm
Don't ring the 0870 number, they never answer that which is probably just as well given what it will cost you. Go to www.saynoto0870.com it's brilliant and if you scroll down to the unverified numbers after entering Royal Mail, it'll give you the standard phone number. They seem to answer that - maybe they think it'll be HQ or something!

Mandela Way: 020 7232 2994
Tuesday 27 February 2007 7.12pm
I know, I've moved and I shouldn't care about SE1 post anymore, but unfortunately I too paid for a redirection service, and I have had an appalling time with it. Firstky we got a lot of our neighbours post redirected, but not ours. Then lots of ours just went to the old address and got returned to sender. Now we're getting hardly any post, and got a call from the ex-neighbours again for us to collect another 20 letters that had not been redirected. I called to complain after the first big batch got sent back and was told you have to have three separate incidents to get anything investigated, and that there is no finacial compensation for this - even though you might have spent 30 or 40 on this service - and...well that's it. That's all they'll do for you - and there's no guarentee it'll get any better. And we have no choice...
Anyway - rant over. The answer is to complain as much and as often as you can bear to, then they can't ignore it and it turns up in their figures.
Hope it improves, I'm about to find out what the post in SE4 is like - can it be worse?
Tuesday 27 February 2007 8.31pm
a lot of people aren't in, during the morning when the postmen turn up, and if the parcel is definitely too large for the letter box it's very likely that it'll be left at the sorting office, as they won't want to carry it out on the round, find you're not in, and then have to carry it back. easier to leave a note.

of course if we still had two deliveries a day, the first one would arrive early enough, and it's likely that most people would still be in, so that wouldn't matter.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 10.55am
I think wherever you are, but especially in London, the postal service is half-cocked. I've lived in a few different neighbourhoods in London and things have still gone missing, no delivery cards (so items returned to sender without me even knowing they had been delivered), redirections all mixed up, friend had post stolen and first class post sent took more than a week to arrive at its destination . . .

. . . the list is endless.
Monday 5 March 2007 10.09pm
I'm no stranger to the appalling service at Mandela Way. I just now tracked a parcel I've been waiting on from the States - it says delivery was attempted a week ago. Not only was I home, but no attempted delivery slip was left. They never leave me slips! Fingers crossed it hasn't been pinched or sent back.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions