London SE1 community website

Tas Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 15 February 2007 11.09am
I like Tas.
However, I know I posted here a long time ago saying that after going there my boyfriend and I had dodgy tummies.
Husband and I went there last night for a low key valentines dinner.
The food was lovely and we really enjoyed it. However, Mr Sarahmc's lamb kofte for starter was a bit pink in the middle, but he ate it nontheless.
He was up all night feeling ill and chucking his guts up. He has just gone to work now still feeling terrible.
Should I ring them and tell them what happened, or just leave it.
It makes me a bit annoyed because I like Tas, but this is the second time it's happened so I'm not sure that we'll go there again.
Thursday 15 February 2007 1.03pm
I went there last night too. It was really delicious as usual but you should definitely call them up and tell them, especially since it's happened twice. Hope your hubby is feeling better.
Thursday 15 February 2007 1.33pm
If you are fairly certain the cause of the dodgy tummy is food from Tas then you should contact the enviormental health officer at southwark.
Thursday 15 February 2007 4.49pm
oh no!! I love Tas!!
Thursday 15 February 2007 6.15pm
Lamb can be perfectly safe to eat when pink as long as the the meat has got hot enough throughout.

I'm pretty sure that most food poisoning takes 12-24 hours to take effect and usually longer as it takes that long for the body to absorb the bacteria so if you ate last night it's less likely to be the food from TAS

When people get a dodgy tummy they tend to blame their last meal where as it's more likely to be something you ate 2-3 days before

I used to share a flat with a cook and he was so fussy about basic food hygiene

some other pointers he gave me

tea towels are evil, magnets for bacteria

if you have a take away and reheat it your more likely to get food poisoning from the rice as much rice cariies latent bacteria that become active from cooking

Could it be he's allergic to a spice they use?

If you think it was TAS I'd bring it up with them, I'm always a bit wary of accusing without proof as I know how damaging it can be to a restaurant's reputation and from what I've seen of TAS and I've been to a few of their branches they seem like a well run operation
Thursday 15 February 2007 9.27pm
I spoke to the environmental health officer at Southwark, a guy called Rod Blessitt, who was very helpful.
He said that Tas has a very good rating on food hygiene.
He explained in some detail what he thinks may have happened, apparently because the thing that Mr Sarahmc ate was a meatball type thing, prepared by hand, it is possible that something from a cut on someones hand could have been transferred.
SO, hopefully an isolated type incident, he is going to do a site visit and tell them what happened, and then come back to me.
Thursday 15 February 2007 11.19pm
Just to correct a couple of points above:

biscuit boy said: "if you have a take away and reheat it your more likely to get food poisoning from the rice as much rice cariies latent bacteria that become active from cooking"

This isn't true. What is true is that e.g. Bacillus Ceres have spores which can grow in rice even when it is kept in a cool place like the fridge. Reheating them does not activate them or anything, but it does not kill them in the way it would kill the bacteria themselves. It is the spores which you can eat and which can cause food poisoning, the bacteria themselves would be killed by reheating. The post above seems to imply it would be safe to eat the rice cold, because it's the cooking that activates the spores - this is definitely, definitely not true!!!! Rice should not be stored, it can be quite bad for you, you should throw it away or if you must keep it , stick it straight in the fridge and don't leave it sitting around on the work surface cooling slowly.

Also, another factual error above (sorry!!), but incubation periods for bacterial food poisoning can vary wildly and absolutely CAN be a matter of a few hours. It really depends on the bacterium. The fact that you get ill within hours by no means rules out bacterial food poisinong (e.g. salmonella - can have onset within 5 hours, whereas something like e.coli is very unlikely to take less than 24).

Glad you are getting it sorted Sarah!
Thursday 15 February 2007 11.52pm
I hope it was an unfortunate accident, or something else your hubby ate.

I eat regularly at Tas and Tas Pide, including lunches from Tas Cafe (my firm recently moved from a place on Tooley Street to Maya House - meaning even more Tas lunches probably!), and I've never been unwell.

I've always been happy with their cleanliness - their open kitchen is a good sign, it shows that they've nothing to hide. I think the hygiene inspector's comments reflect this.

I also noticed that the staff who are preparing raw food always seem to have vinyl gloves on, and change them between various kitchen duties.

Hope he's feeling better soon. I got knocked down for a week by food poisoning just before Christmas - which ironically I think came from some "sticky rice" at an asian restaurant (it had a bit of a microwaved thing going on). I really sympathise!
Friday 16 February 2007 12.05am
I had bad attack of flu/gastroenteritis/food poisoning/I don't know what for a whole week around NYE too. I think there was some stomach bug going around London at the time as loads of my friends came down with it too. Maybe it was something similar to this rather than Tas in the first place?!
Friday 16 February 2007 11.17am
Apparently at this time of year the environmental health place is inundated with complaints because flu virus symptoms are often identical to food poisoning. However, Mr Sarahmc is of a robust constitution and definitely doesn't have flu. A while ago he managed to shake off in a day the beginnings of terrible flu which had me floored for 3 weeks!
And it is telling that once he was sick, (and without going into too much detail, brought up his dinner), he was much better and today is fine (singing in the shower as I type!)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions