London SE1 community website

Good book about SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 16 February 2007 10.53am
I am currently reading The Secret River by Kate Grenville. It is set in Bermondsey (London Bridge) around 1800. It is fiction but with lots of references to history e.g. tanneries, river thames, the docks etc although the second half of the book is set in Australia (I believe). So far the book is great and I had it recommended by a friend.
Friday 16 February 2007 10.54am
A PM is a personal message!

I am indeed looking for something pretty general, which is why I think Richard Tames is the best place to start. But the other books do sound interesting, and I shall have a look at the Gillian Tindall one next time I'm at the shops.
Friday 16 February 2007 10.56am
Wow, the messages are coming thick and fast. Sorry to duplicate James's explanation of PM, but it wasn't there when I started typing. I have seen the Kate Grenville book, and shall make a note that it has SE1 interest, as I didn't realise this. It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize, as I remember.
Friday 16 February 2007 11.01am
Gillian Tindall is giving a talk about 49 Bankside next month:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/839

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 16 February 2007 11.08am
Oops! Looks like I could have found that out myself if I'd opened my eyes. Thanks James - boy you're on the boil!!
Friday 16 February 2007 11.29am
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.
I love this book, very Dickensian, and it is set on Lant St.
Also, speaking of Dickens, he set some of his work around here, most notably Little Dorritt in Marshalsea Debtors Prison, and in Oliver Twist Bill Sykes lives on Jacob's Island which is way down past Shad Thames and now posh flats.
However, you can still see the pilings and mudflats which if you squint a bit can still look vaguely atmospheric.
Jac
Friday 16 February 2007 11.30am
Cloe we read the secret river for book club a couple of months ago. I loved it. Why not come and join us and anyone else who wants to. We usually meet the first week of each month See calling all book lovers in socials section. Always happy to see new faces, its as much about socializing as it is about books.
Friday 16 February 2007 8.23pm
i have a strange 1997 large format paperback here called 'visions of southwark' by peter marcan. it's a very personal/eccentric but compelling sequence of pictures, photos, cartoons and narrative describing southwark in the 19th and 20th centuries. borough high street is on the cover. worth a look...
Saturday 17 February 2007 12.08am
That sounds right up my street. It's pretty hard to find, though - no secondhand copies on abebooks or amazon. Oddly enough, when I googled it I found this http://www.london-se1.co.uk/history/books.html

So this site really is the fount of all wisdom!
Saturday 17 February 2007 7.17am
Your best bet to get hold of a copy of that is to call Peter Marcan on 020 7357 0368.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions