London SE1 community website

Strata - Castle House development - aka Multiplex Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 96 of 120
Sunday 13 June 2010 9.55am
mickysalt wrote:
jamesup wrote:
The turbines are turning! http://www.twitvid.com/J6H9C

Hmm they might get enough power to boil one egg if there lucky

I was told by someone in the architecture profession that the turbines generate enough power to keep one kettle boiling!

I hope that this is not true but fear that it is and the turbines are more of a marketing gimmick than anything actually sustainable.
Sunday 13 June 2010 11.36am
"...more of a marketing gimmick than anything actually sustainable."

That was always my suspicion and I wonder whether they'll just end up like all the other turbines standing idle in the area. Is it a case that this technology just doesn't add up in an urban environment?
Sunday 13 June 2010 1.11pm
I think they were hoping to generate 8% of the buildings energy needs,how likely that is waits to be seen.Another case of "eco bling".I read somewhere they will be turned off at night as well.
Sunday 13 June 2010 2.23pm
They could have covered the building with photo-voltaic cells, no moving parts, no maintenance, higher power out-put, but less visible. The turbines only work with southerly winds, true south-westerlies prevail, but are not permanent. P-V cells work all day, every day for 30 years.
Sunday 13 June 2010 10.13pm
smoggy wrote:
mickysalt wrote:
jamesup wrote:
The turbines are turning! http://www.twitvid.com/J6H9C

Hmm they might get enough power to boil one egg if there lucky

I was told by someone in the architecture profession that the turbines generate enough power to keep one kettle boiling!

I hope that this is not true but fear that it is and the turbines are more of a marketing gimmick than anything actually sustainable.

That's Ken Livingston for you
I find the turbines ugly.
Monday 14 June 2010 9.56am
I need some help here, anyone handy with a slide rule?
the stated out-put over 52 weeks is 50MwH (which seems arbitrary )
That makes approx 1MWh per week...
which is 1,0000 Kwhrs

there are 168 hours in a week

so 1,0000 kWh divided by 168 is
6kW
like one of these
Which is enough to power
this (wall mounted) kettle
but not enough to power this basic model shower

Someone please check my working -
I could be power crazy!
Monday 14 June 2010 11.02am
"P-V cells work all day, every day for 30 years."

Well that is clearly not true, you'll really struggle to get more than 12 hours a day out of them, on average, over the year ;)

It's an experiment, and yes, was no doubt done with marketing and appearance in mind, but does that make it not worth doing? Experiments are a good idea, it's how we learn. P-Vs would have used exterior space and been vulnerable to future shade from other developments. (Is there a planning right to sun on your solar panel?)

All you have to say is "the one with the wind turbines" and everyone knows where you're talking about - I'm sure it's made its money back against the advertising and marketing spend already.
Monday 14 June 2010 11.27am
More shallow marketing shpeal of the worst kind.
Monday 14 June 2010 2.19pm
Graham,

I'm sure you have a point about how gimmicky these turbines are - but your figures are a little misleading.

You start with 50 MWhs, divide by 50, then by 168. You then compare the hourly output with the annual output of a smaller turbine. That isn't cricket.
It is more accurate to say that these three turbines are equivalent to 8,400 of the little turbines you link to.

The calculation you should do is to maybe start with average annual energy consumption per household, then divide 50MWhs by this number. That calculation comes out at between 10 and 30 households depending on what you take as an average:
http://www.carbonindependent.org/sources_home_energy.htm

The next question is will these turbines will produce 50 MWhs?
And then, will they produce the electricity when needed?
And of course, how much will this electricity cost?

Residents will pay for it one way or another.
Monday 14 June 2010 4.06pm
Hold on -
Strata's figures 50 MWhs are based on an annual total.
(8760 hours in a year)
which gives
50,000 kWH divided by 8760 hours
which equals
5.7 kW
Not quite enough to power an electric shower, but enough to power 4 of these John Lewis kettles.
So make a cup of tea & listen to the sound of the blades overhead
Current: 96 of 120

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions