London SE1 community website

Strata - Castle House development - aka Multiplex Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 120
Sunday 25 February 2007 9.56pm
dont suppose you got a reduction in your service charge as compo? ;-p

seriously tho.....i am new to southwark and when i found out about vantage i was v surprised...believe it or not i actually thought that metro city heights was going to be flattened as part of the redevelopment plans - sorry...you wouldnt know from the outside the cost of some of those flats!
Sunday 25 February 2007 10.35pm
You can't flatten Metro Central Heights - its a very important piece of architecture!

I am beginning to lose faith with the redevelopment though - nothing seems to happen, deadlines come and go....and even the eco pod, whatever it is for, took for ever to arrive!
Sunday 25 February 2007 10.37pm
INDOMIE wrote:
Not seen those ones before... the main one I have seen is on the e and c regeneration website....maybe not brushed out but certainly alot of artistic license going on with the developers......

At the time of the planning application exhibition, I wrote:

Lang Rabbie wrote:
The image ... appears to be based on a photo taken from an imaginary viewpoint some six storeys above the railway bridfge across New Kent Road, which diminishes the apparent scale of the building.
What I would want to see at next week's exhibition are accurate CAD generated images (not "artists impressions") from ground level, as seen from Walworth Road, Newington Butts and the proposed new square.

These remain remarkably elusive.

Because of the complicated engineering of the tower, it is not obvious how all the steelwork will reach the ground. My main concern with this project is that the scope for "active frontages" at ground level will be reduced because of these structural constraints.
Sunday 25 February 2007 11.36pm
Williamn,
The Goldfinger cinema was v. important too, but it's gone now.
Has anyone seen the proposals on the London Park Hotel site?

Lang Rabbie (and all of us) can wish for 'honest pictures' adequate models, decent 'fly through' type CAD modeling etc ad naseum, but the planning committee, (they're the target audience) will be making a decision based on how the developer wants the proposals to appear.
Monday 26 February 2007 12.00am
graham wrote:
Lang Rabbie (and all of us) can wish for 'honest pictures' adequate models, decent 'fly through' type CAD modeling etc ad naseum, but the planning committee, (they're the target audience) will be making a decision based on how the developer wants the proposals to appear.

FWIW I think that Lambeth's planning committee has been a lot more sceptical of developers' visuals and demanded accurate drawings and persepctive views for some key projects.

My perception is that Southwark meetings (where I have attended fewer meetings) are less willing to demand proper visuals.
TAK
Monday 26 February 2007 12.49am
PJ wrote:
Any work started on the Oakyme Square development either? I expect not.

This is progressing. Demolition of the existing Volvo garage has started - The building along New Kent Road appears to be not more than a few steel columns and the roof.

I have some more images (not very high quality) of the Multiplex Tower but I don't how to post them since they are pictures on my desktop and not on the web.
Monday 26 February 2007 7.58am
Yes the Volvo site is right under my nose, and I watch it every day. And dont forget Stedman Street where the complex is in later stages (the garage/petrol station on Walworth Road has gone and the next bit is being built next to the green and purple blocks). Wansey Street is built too.

No Indomie, OF COURSE we are not getting any concessions for them building over our parking lot (nor for the upheaval of two years of racket and pile driving). Peverel coulnt give a stuff, they will get the management of the new building and rip off another 150 people.
Monday 26 February 2007 11.13am
TAK wrote:

I have some more images (not very high quality) of the Multiplex Tower but I don't how to post them since they are pictures on my desktop and not on the web.

Go to Tinypic.com and you can upload for free. Then just copy and paste the URL it provides.
TAK
Monday 26 February 2007 12.53pm
Thank you wjfox2004 for the technical support!

Here are the images I found very very deep inside the planning application design statement.

View from Walworth Road:
http://i17.tinypic.com/2m3jvq1.jpg

View from northern roundabout:
http://i16.tinypic.com/2lcl01c.jpg
Note how small existing tower block appears to be, which in fact is a pretty big building. Multiplex in comparison is HUGE.

Computer Model:
http://i12.tinypic.com/35d71xz.jpg
Note the viewpoint seems to vary from about 35th floor to about 25th floor down to about 10th floor. It will never look like this from street level. However, it clearly shows how the Multiplex Tower is shoehorned in between the rail tracks, the street in front leading to the roundabout and the existing tower block next door. Apart from the tower, a 5 storey 'pavillion' will also be squeezed into the site, which IMO is way too small for a building of such scale and mass. Skyscrapers need space around them to view and appreciate them.

Rear Elevation:
http://i18.tinypic.com/44ga0c3.jpg
You can see existing tower block next door, outline of Hanibal House in distance, section trough railway arches and the few buildings along the top end of Walworth Road

Make up your own mind what you think about it!
Monday 26 February 2007 12.57pm
TAK,

Thanks for sharing those images, but they're too big (both in file size and dimensions) to sensibly include on this thread.

I've changed them to links rather than embedded images, so people can click to view them if they wish.

Anyone viewing this page on a dial-up connection would be unimpressed by an embedded 800 Kb image!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 120

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions