London SE1 community website

Southwark Refuse Disposal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Thursday 17 July 2003 1.57pm
Thank you Southwark Council for reminding us that there are recycling bins, however the issue is not about our newspapers and bottles of beer going rotten and stinking up the joint, are you now providing recycling bins for my 4 day old fish suppers?
Thursday 17 July 2003 2.58pm
I want to recycle my council tax bill.

Thank god we don't have any rugrats in the street - soiled crappy nappies would be the last straw.....
Thursday 17 July 2003 3.22pm
soiled nappies would have a hard time competing with the dog poo!

I digress....
Thursday 17 July 2003 3.43pm
yeah - there were never any strikes under the tories. remember it well.

-D.
Thursday 17 July 2003 3.49pm
It's regrettable that the strike action has gone ahead but again, Southwark Council are taking any action within our powers to alleviate the disruption in the borough caused by the current refuse strike.

In response to the point about emails directly to Southwark Council 'going nowhere' we have a service that all Southwark residents can use:

- 'Ask Austin' (a link to this function is on the Southwark website homepage - www.southwark.gov.uk). We get back to people with a query about the council's services within 2 working days.
Thursday 17 July 2003 4.04pm
2 days? Excuse my doubting mind but I have to laugh at that.

"Ask Austin" - would this is the one to complain to that the councils inability to clean streets, press charges against the huge number of people letting their dogs foul the footpath and numerous other oversights. Its great the the council actually read what is said in here and better that you reply but as council tax payers, we expect a level of services from the council that isnt met. Ive asked many times for the 3 inch deep pot hole on our estate to be fixed but emails just disapear. Its only when I send the council for a burst tyre (at 140) will something get done.

As a business, my customers dont care where I source my goods and services from, just as long as they get what they want. "My supplier is on strike" will cost me money. Obviously, the borough wide collection of refuse is a larger task but we pay for you it. You have our money and we have nothing to fall back on. You ahve the law on your side and we just have to sit back and take it.
Thursday 17 July 2003 4.58pm
What action is the council taking to

"to alleviate the disruption in the borough caused by the current refuse strike."

All I can see is a broken contract and refuse on my doorstep.

As a matter of interest does the Council leader live in the borough and does he have crap outside his door?
Thursday 17 July 2003 5.15pm
The money that you pay them not to collect your refuse this week allows pays for them to take theirs to a refuse station. I wonder what the percentages are with regards to council "leaders" living in Southwark. Maybe someone in the know could inform us?
Friday 18 July 2003 7.47am
My rubbish has been collected.

Just goes to show how effective this forum is for both sides in getting there points across.

Thank you Southwark.
Friday 18 July 2003 10.13am
Lucky you Dave, I just walked past some bin on the estate this morning and it was very fragrant.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions