London SE1 community website

Southwark Refuse Disposal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Friday 18 July 2003 10.40am
Tizzy, what area?
Friday 18 July 2003 12.17pm
Dave you lucky lucky git :-)

Our bins are still full, I can only gather that you dont live on an estate.

I see that the council bean pushers like this strike. They still force us to pay the council tax, dont have to pay the contractors and therefore get to pocket a considerable amount of money... quids in

Post edited (18 Jul 03 13:18)
Friday 18 July 2003 12.48pm
Are the binmen paid for the time that they are striking?
Friday 18 July 2003 1.02pm
Dave, we are just off Abbey Street. I doubt that we will see anything collected until Monday. It will be extra stinky this weekend.
Friday 18 July 2003 1.07pm
There's already a huge pile of bin bags at the bottom of Alscot Way. Very Winter of Discontent...
Friday 18 July 2003 1.08pm
If they use contractors, rather than council employees, then what have Unison (Disunity & disloyalty) got to do with our fish bones?
Friday 18 July 2003 1.19pm
Southwark recently brought its refuse collection service back in-house, so the dustmen are now local authority employees, and therefore involved in the London-wide local authority pay dispute.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 18 July 2003 1.24pm
Strangely, I know someone in Borough who had theirs collected on Monday...
Friday 18 July 2003 2.53pm
Thank you Mr Editor.

That confirms everything that I have ever felt & known about the private sector as providers of services to councils.

Private sector employees don't strike because they know their firm would lose the contract and they would then lose their jobs. Even the most die-hard liberal amongst you must therefore agree that councils should outsource services such as rubbish collection.

Huzzah for the free market.
Friday 18 July 2003 4.53pm
I'm Haddonhall area.... not sure if it was the council that cleared it or us as a Tennants Managed Group... but at least it's gone for the weekend!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions